3rd Party Insurance - European waters - CHEAP as chips?

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
Hi there,

Pantaenius want 253pounds for 3rd party on a 1972 Contessa 26 - Can anyone out there give me an idea if that's a decent quote or not? I'm after something as cheap as possible. I don't care much about who they are or whether they're reputable, if I crash it's all over anyway...

Pantaenius seem to be at the 'higher end of the market', so maybe there is some broker out there who'll do it all for peanuts?

Thanks! nick.

davidbains

Visit site
If you pay peanuts you get.....
3rd party is a good idea for an older cheaper boat. However you do need a reliable policy if you damage some one or their boat, even if it's not your fault!!

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
Yes, good point, no wonder it's so cheap... I will email them and ask how their 'continent of Europe' compares to the rest of the worlds interpretation of it.

theforeman

Visit site
basis boat liability category 3 cover extends to - a/ any craft over 17 knots base and used on uk inland or coastal waters up to 12 nautical miles from the coast OR b/ any craft to be used on european inland or european coastal waters.

" european means inland and coastal waters of the continent of europe ( including the channel islands and the isle of man ) between the river elbe and the port of brest but in no circumstances south of 46 degrees north or east of 10 degrees east. "

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
Twisterowner, could you write back with their answer on single-handed?

theforeman, yes, but have you looked at where 46°N is? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

theforeman

Visit site
yes - about the middle of biscay. obviously spain doesn`t figure in bbc`s version of european waters. the 10 degrees east would allow you to potter about at the eastern end of the kiel canal but not to sail around the north of denmark ! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
however sailing the clyde and west of scotland i just need category 2 cover.
do you need a wider area than they allow ?

rosipeter

Visit site
We got our third party insurance from Pantaenius Monaco as they were cheaper than Pantanius UK (and it´s worldwide) for just over 115 quid for a 30yr old 32ft boat

craw4d2003

Visit site
Bishop Skinner have one charge of 100 pounds for third party. We were with Pantaneus and changed to BS after getting a similar quote.

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
Just as a side note - The 253 Pounds from Pantaenius was actually not Pounds, but Euros! So, in Pounds it is actually 173 - Just adding this for future reference.

n