290 D/P Probs

cngarrod

Visit site
Morning all!

At the boat on the weekend attempting to finish the out of water tasks and get ready for the dunking later this week.

Need to change the ring anode on the stern dive but cannot seem to get the cone off the end to then take the props off to get to the anode...

Have i missed somethi8gn somewhere? Taken the centre bolt out, its about 1.5 - 2 inches long, doesn't look sheared or similar so am assuming it is ok.

But the cone will not move, is there a knack, another bolt or does it turn to unlock or what...

Saturated it in WD40 - but after 2 - 3 hours wait, still no change!

Also couldn't undo the oil drain screw or the dipstick, but that's another story!

Any ideas or similar would help greatly!

Cheers,

Craig.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Bar should go thru hole in cone then give it a twist, this then exposes nut for props.

Try T9 give it a squirt in the gaps and leave it 20 mins then try it. Sometimes tightening a nut slightly before loosening it will just help it along.

Good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

hlb

RIP
Visit site
It's a while since I had one with outdrives. But most have a hole through the cone. Stick a bar through. Might even be left or right hand thread.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

Solitaire

Visit site
Visit your locla Volvo dealer. You can buy a "spanner" which both undoes the nut and is the bar to undo the cone. I bought one last year £4.50. There is also a tool which undoes the big castle nut between the the two props. Its a bit more expensive - £20 - but the previuos mentioned tool fits into this. It makes life a lot easier and if you have to regularly replace the anode it makes life a lot simpler and can be done while boat still in the water. I know, I did mine last week.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Solitaire

Visit site
Problem with this! If the bolt in the cone is not undone first and you try to twist the cone it is easy to sheer the bolt which goes into the shaft.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Depends which one it is as there are two versions. One where you undo the nut first the other where you undo the cone and then take off the locking tab on the nut.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

Solitaire

Visit site
My experience is confined to the former! I have seen a guy try to undo the cone without undoing the bolt first - snapped the bolt clean off and left the balance in the shaft. Not to be repeated.

<hr width=100% size=1>