2 newbie outboard questions

steve yates

Visit site
First one, my boat wouldn't steer to port under power and it took me a while to realise the outboard was moving, so I was steering against it.
It's the second time out and it didn't have that problem first time. Is there a lock or something that locks the engine in a straight line, so it doesn't interfere with rudder steering?

This is a mariner 6 4stroke.

Second question is more technical.
Last time I used it, it was fine. This time, it took a while to start, it would fire up, then die. I had to keep the choke right out for a bit, but regardless, I couldn't turn the throttle right down without the engine dying.
I didn't risk turning it all the way down until I came back round to the marina, and sure enough, soon as I turned it right down, to go slow, it just stopped.

What kind so causes for that should I looking for? And how do I fox them?

Thanks.

VicS

Visit site
1. Usually a friction adjustment on the outboard steering that you can tighten fully to stop it turning

It should be mentioned in the owners manual. *

2, sounds like the carb may need cleaning, in particular the slow running jet ( if there is a separate one**) and passages.

* wing nut #26 in this diagram http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...73456 THRU 0P400999/Clamp Brackets/parts.html

** pilot jet its called See here http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M.../0P073456 THRU 0P400999/Carburetor/parts.html

Last edited:

PeteCooper

Visit site
I think that my engine is the same as yours and I have just had mine serviced. One thing the guy who serviced it told me is to be careful when tightening the steering clamp - apparently it is easy to break the clamp if you over tighten it so be careful. What he has done on some of these engines is to make a plate that bolts to the engine and the mounting bracket to lock it in the straight ahead position. If I have the same issue I will be looking at fastening it with a rope across the cockpit tied to any part of the engine that will hold it in place.
I also had a slow running issue and it was caused by dirt in the float bowl and I think a fuel filter.

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
I find it useful to clamp the engine firm enough so it doesn't move on it's own, but loose enough so that I can use it to steer in tight spots if I want to.

It sounds like your engine would benefit from a service, some carb cleaner could help in the short term but that won't help if crap has got in the fuel filter.