1988 Freeman ????? update.

G

I am dealing with the owners son on this purchase.(owner is very ill)HE says it is a 1988 with twinn Volvo 210Hp dsls oem. I have looked at the boat twice outside only. It looks like a good sea boat to me. It has 13/4 inch shafts and 22 inch props (a little large for a 33footer?) I am meeting with owners son on Sat.am for a detailed look and want to make a deal if it looks good inside. So I need info Pro and Con A.S.A.P. Cant find any info in U.S. HELP!!! Thanx Chuck

G

I thought that the Tobago was 35 foot and not 33, engine sizes i am not about, though i do know of one on the Thames called Captain Simon, any further ideas Byron?

G

Yes! Capt. Simon is a Freeman with a Flybridge and if that's a Tobago so-be-it. I really hadn't heard of one. Of one thing I am certain, there is no way that is a 1988 boat, if as it seems it is in the USA I suspect that is the date it was imported. As regards Freemans, they are a quality built boat and the very early 20 footers were declared the first fibre glass classic. The props at 22" sounds right to me if the boat is fitted with 150hp engines. As regards the price, I honestly don't know, A 1972 Freeman 32 aft cabin in good nick would be around £25k

G

Re: 1988 Freeman - more.

Just a thought Chuck. Make sure it is a Freeman, look in the booze locker, one of the bottle holders should be octagonal. Old man Freeman drank a certain gin (Booths?) that came in an octagonal bottle traditionally therefore all Freemans had one bottle holder shaped that way this ensured if he ever went on one of his boats for a G&T he got the right drink. At least that was his theory.

G

Re: 1988 Freeman - more.

chuck freemans are fantastic boats, i have owned four. a 21 , 24 , 32 aft cabin , and now a 33 sedan. the best boats will be dry boats , look around the window corners for water ingress . if lacured bulkheads look faded or swollen or are damp you may have problems.the bulkheads are made from chipboard covered with a thin viner. this does not cause to many problems with river boats but with sea boats its a diferant thing because the structure will be comprimized .there is a crossmember just aft of the stern gland that forms the back end of the bilges , if the boat has had a hammering at sea this area can suffer buy snaping away from engine bearers. this also very easy to fix permanatly and better than new.

look at the head lining inside the boat. if there are areas that are falling away or sagging , this is because the foam is breaking down not the glue. to fix this you have to hover out all the old foam and glue the vinel direct to the roof a nasty job indeed.

don't be suprised not to find any zinc anodes , freemans were built without them. underwater corrosion is not a problem. the reason that the shafts seam oversized is because they are bronze and dont have the same perfomance as 316 stainless steel. check the shafts are straight bronze shafts bend quite easy.

as you can tell by now the 33 tobago was not a succsess in the uk but that is not because it was not a good boat. the amount of wood work made freemans very expensive when compared to a princess 33 the tobagos nearest compertition. production ended in the early eaightys so yours is not an 88 boat. as i explained in my other post you can check its age on the manufactuers plate that is located on the rear of the access panel to the 12v fuses. this plate has the boat no. and the year of mfr. i'll email you the tobago sales litriture tonight this has all the options on it regards john hale

G

chuck this boat is very rare if it is the tobago it will be 35 ft and have aft cockpit/flybridgethey only made 3 boats one is up the thames (captain simon)and my freind has hull number 2 kept tidal thames.this one should be hull no 3 numbers located back of drawers in cabin.with those engines it should be fast ,my mates got twin 150hp it does 17kn.hope you like the boat,and buy it happy boating

greg

G

the freeman 33 was avalible in 4 variants , aft cabin hard top , aft cabin open known as 33 sportsman , sedan and tobago . the tabago has the same layout as the sedan the differance is that the tobago has a flying bridge. capt.simon is a 35 a boat that was only avalible in flybridge form and it is not a tobago . for those that can't get there head around the 33 ft freeman tobago , email me and i'll do my best to email you the original sales litriture