1934 'Merlin' Built by Lord Stanley Info wanted

fionab

Visit site
1934 \'Merlin\' Built by Lord Stanley Info wanted

Hi, I am trying to research a boat. It was apparently built in 1935 by Lord Stanley it is solid teak. It is a sloop and was built to circumnavigate the world which it did 3 times. The Royal British registry or something have record if it but not up to date reocrds. It was built on the Thames. She won numerous races and was written about in books etc and had numerous photos published. She was designed by a famous designer of the time. That's all I have and would LOVE to find out a lot more. If you can help or have any suggestions on links they would be greatly appreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

fionab

Visit site
Re: 1934 \'Merlin\' Built by Lord Stanley Info wanted

Sorry, the boat was built by O.M Watts for Lord Stanley. She has a sister ship as well. She was a 34ft masthead sloop.
Any history would be great to hear.
She currently lies in Brisbane, Australia. Just want to find out about her before purchasing .
Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site

If she is the "Merlin" that I think she may be, she was sailed round the world in the 1970's by Dr Andrews, and the Yachting Monthly of those days carried some articlers by him.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site

Sje would not have been built by OM Watts. He ran a very famous chandlery at no 42 Albemarle Street in Picadilly, edited and published Reeds Nautical Almanac, and had what we would now call a consultancy practice - he did not design boats himself but farmed out the design to young naval architects who could not get the work themselves.

I am pretty sure she will be in my 1977 Lloyds Register of Yachts but it's on board!

Anyway, Dr Andrews was a very good owner so she would have been well looked after by him.

<hr width=100% size=1>Que scais-je?

Forbsie

Visit site

Funnily enough, there is a Merlin built in 1934 at Philip & Sons in Dartmouth which Lloyd's 1949 accredits Capt. O.M. Watts as the designer.Official number 163087 and owner was F.C.W. Moykopf, if that's any use.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

dk123

Visit site

The 1964 LLoyds Register shows that at that time Merlin 163087 was owned by Ronald Andrews so it looks as if it is the boat built by Phillips in 1934. I think Andrews was an RCC member so their Library may hold further information. Phillips yard may still exist at Dartmouth.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dk123

Visit site

Since writing my earlier message I have found that there is a detailed write up of Merlins round the world voyage of 1971 in the RCC publication Roving Commisions no.13. That also says she was designed by a Mr.Letcher for Watts. the article includes details of the boat and the rig.

<hr width=100% size=1>

fionab

Visit site

dk123 is there any chance you could scan the article and email it to me. If not what does RCC stand for so I can try to get a copy.
Many thanks Fiona

<hr width=100% size=1>

RogerH

Visit site

Lord Stanley of Alderley wrote a book, 'Sea Peace' published 1954 by Peter Davies in London in which he describes the boats he owned and the voyages he made between 1932 and 1946. There are two chapters about 'Merlin' which he describes as 'the finest ship I ever owned' (and he did own some very tasty yachts). He bought her in the spring of 1937, commenting that he had watched her being built at Phillip's yard at Dartmouth and knew that 'nothing but the finest materials had gone into the building of her, teak, oak and naval brass'. He sold her in 1939 on the eve of the 2nd world war, but before that had done a circumnavigation of England Scotland and Wales, and taken her across Biscay to the north coast of Spain.

hope this is useful.

Roger

<hr width=100% size=1>

whiskerstay

Visit site

Does this quest for knowledge mean that you are the current owner of this illustrious-sounding vessel?

/<

<hr width=100% size=1>"Stop mucking about, darling, and get the bloody mud weight over."

fionab

Visit site

I have found the vessel, and have heard some stories about it. wanted to know for sure before making an offer to purchase.
fiona

<hr width=100% size=1>

dk123

Visit site

Fiona
Sorry I didnt come back on your request. The RCC is the Royal Cruising Club who publish an annual book of significant cruises. The book is called Roving Commisions. The Andrew's round the world voyage is written up in Roving Commissions 13 which was published in May 1973. The article runs to 45 pages including maps and photos so is rather large to scan. The RCC have a well known library, I dont have the address to hand but I believe it is located in St Katharine's Dock. If you have problems come back to me

<hr width=100% size=1>

terryrds

Visit site

fionab- Did you purchase Merlin? I am the current owner of Aimee Leone, her sister ship. Would enjoy comparing notes, swapping photos, etc. Located Maine, U.S. -Terry

<hr width=100% size=1>

sandshoe

Visit site
ref. Merlin

Sorry, the boat was built by O.M Watts for Lord Stanley. She has a sister ship as well. She was a 34ft masthead sloop.
Any history would be great to hear.
She currently lies in Brisbane, Australia. Just want to find out about her before purchasing .
Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

Well, you still around? I crewed on Merlin 1969-1971, Plymouth- Tasmania. Do you have her or know where the boat is?

eilarose

Visit site