12V fans

A

Anonymous

I'd like some recommendations for 12V fans suitable to be left on more or less 24/24 to cool us in hot weather. I've seen the Hella fan which seems popular but costs around £60. The last thread on this subject generated a lot of discussion about using computer fans - which I am using in one or two lockers - but I don't want to have bare computer fans around the living accommodation. Is Hella the best, and if so, where is the best place to buy; UK? France? Spain? Gib? Channel Islands?

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like some recommendations for 12V fans suitable to be left on more or less 24/24 to cool us in hot weather. I've seen the Hella fan which seems popular but costs around £60. The last thread on this subject generated a lot of discussion about using computer fans - which I am using in one or two lockers - but I don't want to have bare computer fans around the living accommodation. Is Hella the best, and if so, where is the best place to buy; UK? France? Spain? Gib? Channel Islands?

[/ QUOTE ]Maplin's do these to cover the 12v computer fans turning them into "finger friendly" units.
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

A

Anonymous

It's nice to know about those, thank you, but it wasn't just a matter of protecting fingers; I want something that looks more in keeping with a nice yacht. The Hellas aren't exactly pretty to look at. There must be a better choice somewhere?? Market opportunity someone?

Talbot

Visit site
You get what you pay for with fans. Plenty of cheaper ones around, but only really suitable for short term use. Hella for the saloon, and some protected computer fans for sleeping areas/heads

Gypsy

www.tech-x.com.au
I use Hella fans on my 44ft for cabins and saloon. I'm not sure of the model you are looking at but mine are about 20cm dia and have a gimble style mount which allows a good range of angles for directing the breeze generated. The greatest advantage of these is that they are low current (about 250ma @12v on low speed I think). They are relatively quiet on low speed and we leave them on to sleep on hot nights. Speed is changed by a rotating switch at the centre of the fan. The rear of the fan is open so you need to be careful for small fingers. Tough old boaty fingers are not too bothered - I have tested them.

I bought mine in Greece/Piraeus for about Eu70 each. They were quieter, more effective and considerably less current drain than anything else I saw at the time, but they are not beautiful. Since they are black they are not obtrusive if mounted in a corner.

Ray