12 limit boundary

nemodreams

Visit site
A question - which even marine insurers seem unable to agree on - what exactly defines the 12 mile offshore limit ?

ie - Bristol channel - at what point are you 12 miles offshore ? I have been informed with some very wooley definitions by insurers. After all - I'm insured Bristish Coastal waters by them - and they cannot it seems clearly define what they mean ?

Why is a 12 mile limit line not on a sea chart ?

macd

Visit site
It's defined by international convention, in this case UNCLOS (UN Convention on Laws of the Sea), as revised over the years. UNCLOS also defines 'innocent passage' and similar stuff.
If you really want to bore yourself into a coma (it's the sort of stuff only insurers should be compelled to read), it can be found here: http://www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/part2.htm

awol

Visit site
Dinnae ken aboot doon south but here's a map of the bits that matter
uksi_19991126_en_001

Minchsailor

Visit site
I rather like the areas around North Rona and Sula Sgeir.

Interestingly, this is something I discussed with my broker as it potentially affects me. I sail the northern isles and looking at that map it is not possible to take the direct route from Caper Wrath to Sumburgh Head in the Shetlands and be in 'insured' waters. Plan for 2016.

I have a long-standing wish to land on North Rona (I have sailed past it on my to/from the Faeroe's) and it looks intriguing - about the same distance as St Kilda, but every body does St Kilda......

Woodlouse

Visit site
Shirley the 12 mile limit is 12 miles from the nearest point of land. It would seem pretty thick to have any other definition. Maps and things show a more rounded boundary just for simplicities sake and the fact that ironing out most of the crinkles creates such a minor difference that even an insurance company is unlikely to quibble.

bikedaft

Visit site
i asked my insurance about this point a few years ago as technically we were going outside UK waters to get to st kilda. they covered me.

however when i asked about cover for the faroes more recently, we would be uninsured until we got within 12 miles of the faroes (or if we stayed in UK waters, which is what actually happened!)

GrahamM376

Visit site
Discussed this with our insurers many years ago when cover was just UK coastal. The opinion then was that a line was drawn 12 miles off coast but, it was possible to be further off when going between headlands. Turned out we weren't covered for Isle of Man though.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
With GJW, and I enquired about whether we'd be covered beyond the 12 mile limit on a North Sea passage. They're answer was that provided we departed from and arrived at ports within our insured area, we are covered beyond the 12 mile nominal limit

(When I read the small print afterwards, I realised this was in fact stated in the policy but it had passed me by somehow)

Other insurers may vary of course!

Stork_III

Visit site
With GJW, and I enquired about whether we'd be covered beyond the 12 mile limit on a North Sea passage. They're answer was that provided we departed from and arrived at ports within our insured area, we are covered beyond the 12 mile nominal limit

(When I read the small print afterwards, I realised this was in fact stated in the policy but it had passed me by somehow)

Other insurers may vary of course!

But does your cover extend to continental inland waters? ie once you lock in at say Flushing. GJW standard cover doesn't cover it.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
But does your cover extend to continental inland waters? ie once you lock in at say Flushing. GJW standard cover doesn't cover it.

But they'll happily add it for (IIRC) £11 a year!

In fact , when I made the enquiry about the North Sea passage, the nice lady at GJW spotted that we hadn't got European inland Waterways cover and brought it to my attention

Stork_III

Visit site
But they'll happily add it for (IIRC) £11 a year!

In fact , when I made the enquiry about the North Sea passage, the nice lady at GJW spotted that we hadn't got European inland Waterways cover and brought it to my attention

They didn't charge when I asked for it. Good to hear you have the extension, most people don't realise that "Brest to Elbe" doesn't cover Inland European Waterways.

alan_d

Visit site
My Policy Booklet defines Coastal Waters of the United Kingdom thus:
Waters around the coast up to a distance of 12 miles offshore. You can travel between two points in the United Kingdom by the most direct route, even if this might take you outside the 12 mile limit. You are not allowed to travel between Great Britain and the Isle of Man, or Northern Ireland, or the Channel Islands.

St Kilda would seem to be OK, then ....

Minchsailor

Visit site
....however when i asked about cover for the faroes more recently, we would be uninsured until we got within 12 miles of the faroes (or if we stayed in UK waters, which is what actually happened!)

when I went to the Faeroes a few years it was outside the standard cruising limits and I had to pay a fairly hefty supplementary premium. Also had to have 2 'competent' crew with me - one of which was as seasick as I have seen anybody as soon as we were abeam of Cape Wrath, and stayed that way till we go to Tvoroyri.

I have to say this is a pretty empty bit of ocean. We saw no sign of shipping the whole way; had we got into trouble I don't think a call on VHF 16 would have got a response.

bikedaft

Visit site
when I went to the Faeroes a few years it was outside the standard cruising limits and I had to pay a fairly hefty supplementary premium. Also had to have 2 'competent' crew with me - one of which was as seasick as I have seen anybody as soon as we were abeam of Cape Wrath, and stayed that way till we go to Tvoroyri.

I have to say this is a pretty empty bit of ocean. We saw no sign of shipping the whole way; had we got into trouble I don't think a call on VHF 16 would have got a response.

we didn't pay the premium which is just as well as we didn't even get out the minch! i figured we were more likely to come to grief near land

blackfish

open.academia.edu
Discussed this with our insurers many years ago when cover was just UK coastal. The opinion then was that a line was drawn 12 miles off coast but, it was possible to be further off when going between headlands. Turned out we weren't covered for Isle of Man though.

Well you can leave and arrive in insured ports by going via Cape Horn, but I don't think that that is what they mean.