1,000 HP Diesel Power

Divemaster1

Visit site

Divemaster1

Visit site
No, just a new marine diesel engine (Stratified Charge Omnivorous Rotary Engine), previously known as "Wankel"...

See earlier thread named "Rotaty (Wankel) Diesel" for information on power to weight ratios etc.

AHM

NorthernWave

Visit site
I think I'm correct in saying Norton (as in the bikes) started to develop the rotary engine. They managed to get 90bhp from an engine the size of a kids small rucsac. They started racing and did very well apart from reliablity problems. But as is always the case with british industry they could not find investors to finance the development (as far as I know) of these amazing little lumps.

Any companies out there want a donor boat for a couple of 300 hp units??? Should be about the size of an A3 box of paper at a guess??!!! NICE!!!

:eek:)

Chris

Relaxation starts at the pontoon gate

ccscott49

Visit site
You're right, but it wasn't investment that killed it, it was the limit of technology at the time, the tip seals, also it was too fast in racing, wiped the floor with everything, the japs didn't like that, nor did their UK marketing wings, so they brought in a new regulation limiting the fuel it could carry, that was the end!! The police bought quite a few of them. You can still buy a norton commando by the way, beautiful they are aswell.

ccscott49

Visit site
You're right, but it wasn't investment that killed it, it was the limit of technology at the time, the tip seals, also it was too fast in racing, wiped the floor with everything, the japs didn't like that, nor did their UK marketing wings, so they brought in a new regulation limiting the fuel it could carry, that was the end!! The police bought quite a few of them. You can still buy a new norton commando by the way, beautiful they are aswell.