Zebu Aground Holyhead

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
"Lodged against the structure"

What does that mean?

It appears to have berthed alongside "the structure" and then either a) the tide has dropped much lower than they had allowed for or b) they intended to dry out against "the structure" but have overbalanced outwards due to a slight miscalculation.

Richard

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
"Lodged against the structure"

What does that mean?

It appears to have berthed alongside "the structure" and then either a) the tide has dropped much lower than they had allowed for or b) they intended to dry out against "the structure" but have overbalanced outwards due to a slight miscalculation.

Richard

"At 15.50 yesterday (Saturday) HM Coastguards were made aware of a Tall Ship that had drifted from its moorings at Holyhead Harbour onto Holyhead breakwater with two persons on board.

Rappey

Visit site
I appears to have berthed alongside the structure
I also thought that but then found out there is a lot more of the article below the huge amount of adverts
They say: "At 15.50 yesterday (Saturday) HM Coastguards were made aware of a Tall Ship that had drifted from its moorings at Holyhead Harbour onto Holyhead breakwater

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
"At 15.50 yesterday (Saturday) HM Coastguards were made aware of a Tall Ship that had drifted from its moorings at Holyhead Harbour onto Holyhead breakwater with two persons on board.
Ah ..... so it wasn't supposed to be there at all. I didn't realise there was more information below what appeared to be the end of the piece.

Richard

pvb

Visit site
Ah ..... so it wasn't supposed to be there at all. I didn't realise there was more information below what appeared to be the end of the piece.

If you read the rest of the article in the link in post 1, you'll see that the Zebu got into difficulties off Anglesey on Thursday morning and was towed into Holyhead harbour, where it apparently anchored. There's more detail on this in this link - Historic 'Flagship of Liverpool' tall ship rescued by RNLI off North Wales

Vicarage

Visit site
What I want to know is what 'navigational difficulty' (to quote the Holyhead coxswain) neccessitated her tow in the first place. The lifeboat dropped her at the harbour entrance and she made her own way to anchor so one presumes steering and propulsion were ok.
Shame because she's a lovely ship and quite a lot of lottery money has been spent in the last few years on tarting her up and fitting a complicated sounding electric motor system.

pvb

Visit site
Shame because she's a lovely ship and quite a lot of lottery money has been spent in the last few years on tarting her up and fitting a complicated sounding electric motor system.

The nation is awash with lottery money; they have to give it away to get rid of it. It's rarely destined for good causes.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Chance then mebbe at next HW if they could lighten ship as much as possible? Water tanks emptied, everything portable, horses, anything up on to the dock. I'm sure they'll give it their best shot. Good luck to them.
If they hadn't converted to electric propulsion, they could pump out the bunkers...

RichardS

N/A
Visit site