Your boat names (and ideas)

Simon 420

Visit site
That name makes the boat sound as if it is sponsored by a fish and chip shop..

Please bear in mind that you may have to use a boat name over VHF in an emergency, and a name should be capable of being repeated easily without mistakes or distracting CG or other sailors. Simplicity, and uniqueness are commended.

I still can't stop chuckling about a colleagues boat on a recent NYA Cruise - "Pieces of Eight"

Daydream believer

Visit site
One for Monty Python fans:-
When I bought my son his last new Phantom from Ovington, it was a surprise. It was displayed at the dinghy exhibition at Alexander Palace by Ovingtons as one of the first of their new Phantom designs.
Lots of people were in on it
First Inlaws & his wife were persuaded that there would be no surprise for her as it was her birthday & they usually went to diner etc
Second a friend went to Ovingtons in North Shields to agree the layout of fittings.
Third another friend set the boat up at the show at the correct approach angle.
Fourth My grandson had to be persuaded to get his dad to take him to the show because he had said he had no interest in going. My daughter agreed to go with them as well
Fifth Ovingtons agreed to put the name on it & place a notice on it with the notice facing away from the main isle.
My son's first Phantom was called " The Spanish Inquisition" so we had the new name written on this one with "nobody expects" in small letters at 45 degrees Then "The Spanish Inquisition" followed by " !! " to indicate No 2
As they walked round the show my son kept meeting Phantom owners & my grandson kept dallying at stands. My daughter was desparate to get him to the Ovington stand ASAP before any one mentioned it & gave the game away
As they approached the stand my son was really upset. He said to my daughter " That is not right, they have given it the same name as my boat"
When he walked to the bow he saw the notice that Ovingtons had put on it
"Sold to Philip Longley, Chairman Phantom Class Assn"
That year he won every club cup that was available for him to win. 10 in all
My squib is called "The Comfy Chair" & I had a Phantom called Cardinal Fang

Greg2

Visit site
I still can't stop chuckling about a colleagues boat on a recent NYA Cruise - "Pieces of Eight"

Whe we did NYA cruises there was a boat named ‘Silt Piper’ amongst the flotilla. An unusual choice but I understand that the owner had a farming background so I guess the name meant something to them.

Last edited:

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I insured mine without a name while I was deciding what to change it to. Eventually called it ‘Capella’ after an old horse of mine, turns out there’s a stack of Capellas around :mad:

The Q

Visit site
There's a sailing boat at my club called.... "Passing Wind"
and another called "Aquaholic"..
I used to see a dinghy called "This Way Dow".... it was written along the bottom of the boat... (inside and out!!)

My current sailing boat is called Blue Moon, I was in Saudi at the time when I built her,, and the registration authority there was a bit odd, one guy tried to register their boats with their children's names.. The paperwork came back Rabbit 1 rabbit 2 rabbit 3..

So I went for Blue Moon as they like the moon in their culture, and got it... What they didn't know is Baron Blue Moon was the name of our Rough Collie... and to them Dogs are unclean...

Bigplumbs

Visit site
A Friend of mine who was a very keen Sailor sadly became ill and wrote a book called......... Only so many tides........... I will will never forget that. Sadly not with us any more.

A book not a boat but about naming things........

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
A Friend of mine who was a very keen Sailor sadly became ill and wrote a book called......... Only so many tides........... I will will never forget that. Sadly not with us any more.

A book not a boat but about naming things........

Sorry to hear. .. is it Jon Wainwright? A number of good reviews online and appears he really loved the sea.

RandallStephens

Visit site
Elvira.

Because Tony Montana lusted after Elvira when she was his boss’ girlfriend and pursued her recklessly just as Tony Berkshire lusted after this Sea Ray and pursued it recklessly.

Hopefully the latter Tony has a better outcome with the boat than the former did with his Elvira.

bowler

Visit site
Congratulations on the purchase Tony. She looks great. If I were you I wouldn't bother with the name. I leave boat names for sailing boats and larger cruisers. I think on a smaller speedboats the sporty lines are ruined by a daft name on the hull. That being said, it ain't my boat! Enjoy!

D

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Congratulations on the purchase Tony. She looks great. If I were you I wouldn't bother with the name. I leave boat names for sailing boats and larger cruisers. I think on a smaller speedboats the sporty lines are ruined by a daft name on the hull. That being said, it ain't my boat! Enjoy!

D

Thanks. It was a requirement of the insurance (it asked for a boat name or serial number... I didn't know the latter ?‍♂️)... also won't I need a name for radio talk?

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
For vhf radio talk you will also need an international call sign, for that you apply online to ofcom for a fixed ship radio licence and they automatically issue one, this stays with the boat, if it's a dsc radio they also assign an MMSI number as well so if you press the red button in an emergency they know who you are and more importantly where you are.
You'll need to do a short course for the operators certificate as well, always worth having a partner or regular crew member trained as well in case you hit your head on something, it can and does happen in bouncy seas.

bowler

Visit site
Thanks. It was a requirement of the insurance (it asked for a boat name or serial number... I didn't know the latter ?‍♂️)... also won't I need a name for radio talk?

Fair point Tony.

Serial no. will be on the transom engraved into the hull. Probably on the starboard side. It will end with the year of production.

In my case the small boat never leaves the river and hasn't got a radio. I may have just used the model name again when I insured.

Even then, a name is one thing but graphics are another. Keep it minimal if you ask me. Your Sea Ray is looking sleek and clean so keep it that way. ?

D