Your boat names (and ideas)

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
I needed a boat name as it was a field on the insurance form... could only think of The Cod Father but may change it ?‍♂️?... got me thinking do all boats have names?
1) what's your boat name?
2) what's your favourite boat name(s)?

sarabande

Visit site
That name makes the boat sound as if it is sponsored by a fish and chip shop..

Please bear in mind that you may have to use a boat name over VHF in an emergency, and a name should be capable of being repeated easily without mistakes or distracting CG or other sailors. Simplicity, and uniqueness are commended.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
My fast boats are named:

Baloo
Ockle 3
Add2cart
Click n Collect
The Cure ( now sold)
Da Mooge
Wild Thing

The Cod Father is used by many fish and chip shops

Why not name yours ’Bought in Haste’ ?

Sandy

Visit site
Just make it easy to say on the radio. It speeds things up as you enter port or call for help. Also ask yourself would your 12 year old daughter be comfortable using it on the radio as she sends a mayday...

Daydream believer

Visit site
My wife was an officer on bridge duty one day & I radioed in for a VHF check
Stone sailing club this is the yacht "I want sex, I want sex" for a radio check please.
Unfortunately, even though she was in the middle of starting some races, she twigged because she replied "Station calling" etc etc
I also had harsh words about the correct use of the radio when I returned home

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Just make it easy to say on the radio. It speeds things up as you enter port or call for help. Also ask yourself would your 12 year old daughter be comfortable using it on the radio as she sends a mayday...
This is a good tip. Also, I'd suggest keeping it short and avoid word(s) in the boat name that also appear in the phonetic alphabet!

Rappey

Visit site
I read a story of an 18ft boat called "Le petit beaujolais nouveau" . It announced its arrival in a dock, to which someone else chimed in on the radio "omg, your name is longer than your boat "!