Yay. Patrick Laine is back :)

Visit site
I still worry about him. Don't get me wrong; I know he is a gentleman, that he has spirit, that he is bold, brave and enthusiastic. He surely is an inspiration to us all...but it is clear to me that he is not a born sailor. He has been lucky with the weather so far (and long may this state of affairs continue). Can't help thinking that he should spend his spare time reading about Moittessier, Knox-Johsnston, Joshua Slocum, Pete Goss etc. etc. Their stories are essential reading for short-handed sailors, no???

NormanB

Visit site
I still worry about him. Don't get me wrong; I know he is a gentleman, that he has spirit, that he is bold, brave and enthusiastic. He surely is an inspiration to us all...but it is clear to me that he is not a born sailor. He has been lucky with the weather so far (and long may this state of affairs continue). Can't help thinking that he should spend his spare time reading about Moittessier, Knox-Johsnston, Joshua Slocum, Pete Goss etc. etc. Their stories are essential reading for short-handed sailors, no???

I take it you are presuming he has not read any or all of those.

A born sailor? Tosh.

Poey50

Visit site

Yes, I for one would be fascinated to watch some videos of you reading about the great short-handed sailors. I trust you have a good armchair.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
A born sailor? Tosh.

I wasn't going to comment but these were the words I was thinking. The guy was a fighter pilot, sailing is childs play, he's every bit a Moittessier, KJ, Slocum as he's out their doing it.

But in other news Lee Shores, Lazy Jacks and Lunches is back but with a very sad story.

https://youtu.be/JPfi94Dp5rs

Visit site
I read and learn. I sail and learn. I pray that all who so venture are fortunate, that they enjoy, that they survive to tell their tale. May we all die of old age in a comfy bed, surrounded by those we love...

Visit site
I can and always will forgive those who are illiterate and those who are ignorant. What I
find hard to stomach is those who give bad advice to those who are - or may be - in peril.
To all who read this: respect, revere, fear...the sea.
May you have fair winds and flat waters...

"I know one thing for sure: I know that I do not know it all and never will. I can only hope that I know enough"

Poey50

Visit site
I can and always will forgive those who are illiterate and those who are ignorant. What I
find hard to stomach is those who give bad advice to those who are - or may be - in peril.
To all who read this: respect, revere, fear...the sea.
May you have fair winds and flat waters...

"I know one thing for sure: I know that I do not know it all and never will. I can only hope that I know enough"

Oh boy ...

.... best leave it there, I think.

Visit site
Yes, I for one would be fascinated to watch some videos of you reading about the great short-handed sailors. I trust you have a good armchair.

Absolutely...got really comfortable furniture here. Cannot deny that I wish all those who go to sea - for whatever reason - return to shore safely.

Last edited:
Visit site
Please accept my apologies, Norman: I don't know if I was born with a bulls**t detector or if I acquired it over time, or maybe with experience...but I am stuck with it now and feel obliged to share.

shaunksb

Visit site
Who was a fighter pilot? Our friend Patrick ???

Not only was he a fighter pilot but judging by his videos he seems to have remembered the meteorology bits and is able to download and interpret forecasts on the go.

Don’t you go worrying yourself unnecessarily...

Achosenman

Visit site
Hi NormanB
Was Patrick Laine really a fighter pilot?...please advise...

Yes he was. I have had a brief conversation with him, as one retired pilot to another. Lots of pilots turn to sailing when time permits. As for the weather, don’t worry. It’s my experience you “ natural born sailors” are babes in the woods when it comes to the weather and interpretation of synoptic charts etc...:wink-new: