Yay. Patrick Laine is back :)

mainsail1

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotlan
Visit site
As long as he doesn't just bore us all stiff by talking to the camera.

I want to see some sailing and boats, not some chap I don't know talking to the camera incessantly.
I think he can be interesting. The problem for me is that he often says things which are not quite right but, hey, he will learn maybe. For example, a drogue to steer the boat. No way. And his experiment was flawed as he had not lost his rudder. Doh!

dolabriform

freewheeling.world

mainsail1

Visit site
Visit site
Of course we all wish Patrick Laine well. Personally, I am concerned, having watched a few of his youtube videos: he does not seem to have much idea about handling his yacht, yet he intends to sail to Iceland. God help him if he encounters any serious weather.
May he have fair winds and flat seas...

Achosenman

Visit site
Of course we all wish Patrick Laine well. Personally, I am concerned, having watched a few of his youtube videos: he does not seem to have much idea about handling his yacht, yet he intends to sail to Iceland. God help him if he encounters any serious weather.

My experience of sailors is that if I ask ten sailors the same question, I'll get 11 answers. If they're in the bar at the time, I'll get a brawl thrown in for free.

It seems to me sailors are by necessity, robust and self reliant. Sometime they don't play well with others.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world

If you watch all his videos you will see that he has already sailed single handed to the Azores and back, Shetland and back, experienced gales, and other fun. So I, IMHO, disagree with your assessment of his abilities.

Sandy

Visit site
Because when you still have a rudder it can never work as the rudder is in control.
Utter tosh.

Next you will be sailing you cannot steer with the sails as the sails are in control. The keel(s) have a far larger surface area than a rudder. Just lock the rudder off and try either technique. The first time I try it I do not want to be rudderless.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Another Patrick fan, a very pleasent and honest chap from what I can tell. He's not doing it to make money from what I can tell so it must be the sailing and creative side.

Long may he continue to make videos of his trips and good luck to him.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
I have to say that I like the way when he demonstrated his single-handed technique for 'parking' up in a finger berth, he cheerfully said that no doubt his technique would not suit everyone, seems like a chap who's prepared to admit that he doesn't know it all and like 95% of us, are making it up as we go along until told otherwise.

XDC

Visit site
The way he coped with engine failure off the Azores impressed me immensely.

Kept his sea-room whereas some might have been tempted to head for shelter.

Didn’t try to fix the unfixable as explained in the subsequent video.

His sail plan was appalling, too much main and an endlessly flogging jib, but he learnt from it hence he now has a sea anchor and fitted a Solent jib on a new inner forestay

As has been said he’s made it to the Azores and Shetland ... and back :encouragement:

Gadget257

Visit site
If you watch all his videos you will see that he has already sailed single handed to the Azores and back, Shetland and back, experienced gales, and other fun. So I, IMHO, disagree with your assessment of his abilities.
+1 The man is a gentleman doing the type of sailing I wish to do in the future. Worth a watch.

mainsail1

Visit site
Utter tosh.

Next you will be sailing you cannot steer with the sails as the sails are in control. The keel(s) have a far larger surface area than a rudder. Just lock the rudder off and try either technique. The first time I try it I do not want to be rudderless.

I have no problem with sailing a relatively straight course under sail with no rudder or a fixed centre rudder by balancing the sails. I also have no real problem (except that it seems pretty inefficient and not very accurate) to sail a course with the drogue technique when the boat has lost its rudder. However using a drogue when you still have a rudder has not worked for me. You must be a very lucky man.