Yawl sailing boat 43ft

George green

Visit site
Hi all
we have a 1980 43ft blue water yacht and I am trying to find someone who can help please. The mizzen mast bends forward and im Told it is meant to be like this as the spreaders bend forward as well can someone please explain why and what if any the benefits are.

Supertramp

Visit site
I am not aware of any forward bending masts - sail cut and set usually wants a straight or slight aft bend for the best shape.

On a ketch or yawl the spreaders can be forward facing, aft facing or straight depending on the rig. Some have diamond stays on the top half to limit bending. With forward facing spreaders you probably don't have a triatic stay linking the two mastheads but there should be a way to pull the mast back to balance tensions.

If the mast is bent forwards, or even raked forwards I would look carefully at the rig and how the mizzen is being supported from the stern to counter the spreader stays pulling to the front. Is the mast prebent or bending under tension?

I can't recall ever seeing a mizzen with forward curve or rake even in the days of wooden boats and mast (which I assume yours is not).

Wansworth

Visit site
From reading in my armchairthetwobenifitsof a mizzenmast are setting amizzen staysail or riding toa sea anchour in general they get in the way of mounting a vanegear add weight maybe consider getting rid of it?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
From reading in my armchairthetwobenifitsof a mizzenmast are setting amizzen staysail or riding toa sea anchour in general they get in the way of mounting a vanegear add weight maybe consider getting rid of it?

:oops: Wash your mouth out with soap!

The yawl is, to my eyes, the most beautiful of rigs.

Aesthetics, my dear boy, unsullied by mere vulgar practicalities!

(Though actually said to be good for storm rig, or mizzen as a steadying sail, and probably other things I won't know about until Santa brings me one.)

Wansworth

Visit site
:oops: Wash your mouth out with soap!

The yawl is, to my eyes, the most beautiful of rigs.

Aesthetics, my dear boy, unsullied by mere vulgar practicalities!

(Though actually said to be good for storm rig, or mizzen as a steadying sail, and probably other things I won't know about until Santa brings me one.)
My nautical tomes show the crew happily drinking tea below whilst hove too under mizzen sail although at what wind strength 5he mizzenmast get blown away it doesn’t mention.?

Wansworth

Visit site
A ketch is not the same thing at all. Neither fish nor fowl. All the faff of an extra mast, especially one that's positioned to get in the way of things, without the aesthetics.

Now a schooner, on the other hand . . . :)
Had one once,ok in reaching winds ,the ketch allows for a stronger mizzenmast support……enough of this aesthetics ,be gone?

Supertramp

Visit site
IMG_20220606_113722.jpg

Wouldn't be without it! Except in a following wind and when replacing the rigging.... but I agree that its a lot of unnecessary clutter on a modern design. Going back to the original post, bendy mast seems unnecessary on such a rig.

DownWest

Visit site
We need photos of George Green's boat.
As for Supertramp, unless your rudder post is VERY far forward, you have a ketch.. (very nice one!)
Yawls used to be more common. Didn't HRH sail one? Was it a rating advantage?
Schooners.. very pretty, but a large main, with all the handling.. Usually in the USA
Ketches kept sail size down and aided balance, but now seem to be out of favour for high tech sloops.

Tranona

Visit site

Yes, post war CCA rules did not count sail area from the mizzen if aft of the rudder post and the mast was a good place to hang extra sails from. Many deigns from top shops like S&S, Alden, Rhodes etc in the 50s/60s had yawl rigs as well as centreboards because beam was not penalised. Got close to buying an Alden Yawl a couple of years ago - but just too big a project and the owner had an inflated idea of its worth - proved correct as it eventually sold for less even than I offered.

DownWest

Visit site
Prob the best of those would have been the mizzen staysail. Lots of area for off the wind. Maybe the bend in the OP's mizzen is related to that? :)

DownWest

Visit site
Just re-read the OP and could he define the forward leaning spreaders? Are they jumpers with wires in a diamond pattern? i.e. attached to the mast top and bottom, rather than the type used on an average main mast for the cap shrouds?
Photos would really help.

George green

Visit site
We need photos of George Green's boat.
As for Supertramp, unless your rudder post is VERY far forward, you have a ketch.. (very nice one!)
Schooners.. very pretty, but a large main, with all the handling.. Usually in the USA
Ketches kept sail size down and aided balance, but now seem to be out of favour for high tech sloops.
I have posted a link to pics

Supertramp

Visit site
I think it has a boom folded up against the mast. The mast must be mounted on the transom and uses a kind of platform as a reverse bowsprit to support the mast - a very unusual arrangement. And still not clear why the spreaders would face forward and not aft. Either way I would not have expected a forward bend in the mast.

PS Mine is a ketch and has aft facing spreaders, fore and aft lowers and a triatic stay. No staysail yet but sorely tempted to rig one.