Yanmar alternator

Fjord John

Visit site
Hi all,

I have a pair of Yanmar 4 BY2 150. An alternator has started making a noise. A main agent has quoted £670.51 + vat + fitting, to order one from Japan. I’m ok paying that as it’s seems like my only practical option (for a swap over), and will come with a warranty. Do you think this is my best option? I know this is just one of the joys of boat ownership (big bills)!

Also, there seems no option on the digital instruments (on the dash) for checking error codes (the route via instructions online leads to no option in the menu). I’m not getting any codes showing but does anyone know if I can read codes or if I need to plug something in? I’m asking mainly as the diligent previous owner made reference in his maintenance journal to asking his engineer to investigate certain codes. I’d like to be that diligent too.

I’m Thames based. Thanks J

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
noisy but still working?
most likely the bushes are starting to go.
get it to an auto electrician (preferably 50+ yo) and he'll clean and replace the bushes in less than an hour for (at a guess) 40-50quid

Fjord John

Visit site
Hi Vas, yes, working fine. Just sounds like a chafing sound. Defo from alternator as has been checked with belts off.

noisy but still working?
most likely the bushes are starting to go.
get it to an auto electrician (preferably 50+ yo) and he'll clean and replace the bushes in less than an hour for (at a guess) 40-50quid

Fjord John

Visit site
Hi ST80, seems like the consensus is to try a fix first, and if that fails, source an aftermarket. Thanks for your thoughts.

If it can't be repaired just fit an aftermarket model instead of an overinflated in price yanmar version that's been painted.

Fjord John

Visit site
Hi all

The alternator is off. But my engineer’s auto repair contact died (possibly when he heard how much Yanmar wanted for a replacement).

Does anyone know a good contact I can take (south east) or post the alternator to for inspection/reconditioning?

Thanks John

Fjord John

Visit site
Ah, thanks SM. I’ll get googling!

I’m london/Chertsey way if anyone knows a good one. But as SM says I’m sure I can find one.

Stingo

Visit site
I hope you'll be as pleasantly surprised how reasonable a repair of an alternator can be when using a traditional auto electrician. Well, I was. There was a several hundred dollar difference between Balmar and a local auto shop in Panama and I was more than pleased with the workmanship

Fjord John

Visit site
I hope you'll be as pleasantly surprised how reasonable a repair of an alternator can be when using a traditional auto electrician. Well, I was. There was a several hundred dollar difference between Balmar and a local auto shop in Panama and I was more than pleased with the workmanship
Thanks SM, fingers crossed ?

Fjord John

Visit site
Hi CD, £133, I didn’t find that. Great price.

In case it’s an easy fix for the existing one I’m going to try this place first, they mention they work on marine alternator and have great reviews:
Unistart

Will let you all know how it goes.