Yanmar 1GM10 Difficultly Refitting Oil Seal to Raw Water Pump

Sidestep

Visit site
I’ve managed to remove both rubber seals from the pump body but I just can’t get the new smaller rubber oil seal back into the raw water pump body. I watched the YouTube vids plus other forum posts and it looks like you should be able to just place it in by hand and finish off with tapping in by hammer against a suitable sized socket.

I’ve tried this but only ended up destroying the new seal as it doesn’t want to fit into the grove on the body. I see there are 2 different seals available but they are meant to be interchangeable.

Im sure all the old seal has been removed so asking if anybody has any tips on re seating this seal after I’ve managed to obtain a new one.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I'm not sure of the exact situation but some seals fit easily because the tunnel they fit into has a tapered/chamfered edge whereas some just have a sharp edge which can peel back the rubber outer skin of the seal and ruin it.

I fitted a seal yesterday which did the peel back thing. I've left it for now but next time I'm going to do what I usually do and chamfer the leading edge with a dremel so it starts easily by hand.

It's worth doing if that is the problem.

Richard

Last edited:

Sidestep

Visit site
I think I know the issue now. Part of the old seal was still in there! I thought the steel ring left behind was part of the pump. It was in fact the ring of the old seal! So I've removed that now and I have a clear recess for when my new seal arrives. Thanks for the responses.