Yamaha ME420 engines

Whitelighter

Visit site
Anyone got any opinions/experience with the above? What sort of power do the chuck out and is it reasonable to assume they would have been supplied with Yamaha's Hydradrive system if on outdrives.

I have been told by a ultra reliable source that they are based on the Toyota 4.2l Diesel engine found in among other things Landcruisers. I guess parts should be readily available?

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Yes Toyota and parts can be got for sane prices from any motor factor. These engines are used in millions of road vehicles (ie toyota 4x4s). Don't have the 440 ourselves, but the 6cyl 260 and a pal has the 350s, very happy with them. The only one I ever heard a question mark about was the 24valve 310/315 which some suggested seemed to over cool at idle. They seem to be a proven and reliable motor and not a rip off to maintain and run unlike some others.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi jez, ive worked on them in moodys old draco for years, they are great engines the only thing he had wrong was a fuel problem that turned out to be something very simple.

On the legs ive heard all sorts of problems but to be fair neil never had any real issues, one year we had the engines out to fit new swivel bushes to the steering hood and tiller arms, a few glitches with the trim switches and one new prop shaft that leaked thats it in about 8 years, when he sold it the dealer took the engines out and fitted new drive couplings on the flywheels.

Take it your looking at sunseeker martinique with them in? id say there better than a volvo engine wise but the volvo legs take some beating, its also a good idea to have transom showers fitted to cool the top of the leg as per the bravo legs.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Thanks Paul,

Great advice as usual. What power do the 420's have? It seems in the Martinique they give a top end of late 30's compared to the KADs which seem to top out around 31.

Dissapointing to know the legs still need remedial shows to keep going. Would you value a Yamaha powered boat higher or lower than a Volvo powered one?

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
better than a volvo engine wise but the volvo legs take some beating, its also a good idea to have transom showers fitted to cool the top of the leg as per the bravo legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had Soliatire reengined with the 370 sti with the hydradrive leg. It was the best, and still is the best package I've had. I did have the leg adpated by Bill Brown of BBMS to have the leg cooled via an internal alternation he developed. It is a great leg, silky smooth and as long as it's sereviced regualrly there should be no problems. My had done nearly a 1000 hours with no troubole at all.

The 420 is basically the same engine as in the Toyota Land crusier. They wil be exibiting at SIBS - as they always do. If I ever had to spec a boat again with engines Yamaha would be my first choice.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
They give a genuine 247hp unlike the badged kad 300 which is actually 285hp.

As solitare says the legs are great as there is no cone clutch to wear out or silly linkage , its a hydraulic multiplate clutch pack driven by a hyd pump that takes up the drive, you must change the oil every year, pm moody he will give you his opinion, hes got volvos now though in his gobbi 425, hes already had 2 new legs this year! sorry neil.

NorthUp

Visit site
They are far superior to the Volvo engines and outdrives, but..
the outdrives cannot take full power for long periods (hours), many RIB owners have added scoops to deflect cooling water over the top of the leg while planing in an attempt to decrease the temperatures. The yamaha lub oil is borderline, some use Mobil at great expense, but after renewing 5 gearboxes in 8 years (twin engine RIB) we use the Mobil lub now.
If you use the 23" pitch props, the blades will fall off, or the hub will part from the rest of the prop- (guaranteed, its only a mater of time! ) and Yamaha will claim its never happened to anybody else! (about 10 props in 8 years, nothing hit in the water...)
Engine wise, the only failure was the turbo oil feed pipe corroded through after 18 months, dumped the oil and siezed the engine before the low pressure alarm sounded. we now change them on an annual basis.
Landcruiser filter fit, at a fraction of the marine price.

Sneds

Visit site
We nearly bought a Sealine 260 fitted with this rig.
A mechanic friend said "hey thats a Landcruiser engine"
It popped the 260 up on the plane in no time and the silky gear engagement was a joy to behold, seriously, it was better than the "clunk" we were used to.
The boat we were looking at had done around 500 hours and the motor was as sweet as a nut.

DoubleVision

Visit site
Hi Jez. Pal of mine runs a Martinique 39 from Sovereign Harbour with 420`s. He does alot of charters and clocks up circa 300 hours a year. In 4 years he has had very little problems other than what you would expect with fitting automotive engines to a boat. He has had a sump rot and leak oil and alot of corrosion around the steering bits on the transom shields. The wiring loom is also of automotive quality and does`nt like getting wet. Its a quick boat though and tops out usually around 38 kts

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Silly me and my mitintermant dislexia. Yanmar != Yamaha.

I'll tyr and raed moer caerfyllu nxet tmie /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

robinstall1

Visit site
Fitted Bugzy out with a twin 370 sti setup, expensive but worth every penny.
I have had the volvo Kads, Mercruisers,Bmw etc, and this setup is hard to beat, I had to replace 2 V8 petrol engines which were 5.8ltr each with 2 diesels.
And I am glad to say I made the right choice, now if everybody buys em perhaps the parts will go down in price.
Unfortunatley the 370 s are not in any vehicle I know of so if anybody nows of any buses or road sweepers?

RogerRat

Visit site
Jez and a Squeeker Martinique? In what country? May we ask?

'Thinks we may have a No. <span style="color:blue"> 4 </span> in the series coming up! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yvescharron

Visit site
Yamaha ME420 STI

Hello every body,
I am new here and following your blog on the Yamaha ME420 STI, I have to ask you if anyone of you know the reference Yamaha number for the injectors of this engine.
I have purchase a second hand boat, and when asking a cleaning of the injector, we realized that 5 are from one type 093500-7440
and One was ref: 093500-5930
And anyone know where to purchase these injectors? I will like to make this all identical.
Thank you for your reply and help.
Yves