Yacht

Blake1993

Visit site
I thought you were considering buying it. If you already own it then take my thoughts a stage further and look for economy fixes. Do not overspend. Don't forget that newer sails may be available from another ytpe of boat. I matched up some sails from an Osprey dinghy for a small yacht once and they were cheap and a good fit. Many racers sell old sails pretty cheap and in pretty good condition.
I dont have huge pockets my intention was to try and do it as cheap as I can, if I can!.
And hope I can pull ok t off ?

jac

Visit site
Ah! Ok that kind of sums up the boat I have ? my intention is not to restore to sell, my intention is to restore and enjoy fun times, I'm not interested in getting my money back on it! But that comment has completely helped me miles!
Thank you
That's the key thing - and if you're having fun and can afford it then go for it. No point being the richest corpse in the graveyard!

Blake1993

Visit site
Some of us get get lots of satisfaction and fun out of restoring ,improving and maintaining our boats , just like people do with classic cars.
If it were not for some of these people many boats would have vanished years ago.
I completely agree, I do nothing better with my time, so why not eh? ?

Blake1993

Visit site
That's the key thing - and if you're having fun and can afford it then go for it. No point being the richest corpse in the graveyard!
We are all in the same size hole regardless to wealth! To be honest I wanna do it to test myself see what I can actually achieve and I think it would be lovely for my daughter and partner to hop on and sail, enjoys the freedom and to an extent escape from reality

Blake1993

Visit site
Thank you for all your advice, I emailed that seawych link old harry attatched,
And they are pretty certain my boat is a seawych sloop mk1.

Just because I'm nosey is there a way to know what the manufacturer number is? As in if my boat was 60th built or number 305?

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Look on the mainsail, there should be a large number on it, but of course this might not be the original sail so the sail number can not be guaranteed to give you the info you want.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Sorry I'm new to this so not sure were I would find that?
Although even if the owner had bought a new sail, presumably it is likely that he/she would have stuck the original number to the new sail? :unsure:

Richard

I was thinking more that on a boat of that age which looks as if it has been a bit short of TLC , the previous owner may have replaced the mainsail with a used one or one that wasn't even a Seawych main, and not changed the number, I had a Spinnaker which I bought as a used item and never changed the number on it,

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I was thinking more that on a boat of that age which looks as if it has been a bit short of TLC , the previous owner may have replaced the mainsail with a used one or one that wasn't even a Seawych main, and not changed the number, I had a Spinnaker which I bought as a used item and never changed the number on it,
A fair point. :)

Richard

Caraway

Visit site
I dont have huge pockets my intention was to try and do it as cheap as I can, if I can!.
And hope I can pull ok t off ?

I quite agree, and enjoy fiddling about with stuff myself. My advice is to always look for a cheaper way to achieve the end result. As long as you do it well.
There are many people willing to lift your leg selling you gear that will make your boat a more expensive one than you wanted.
If you end up with a £6K boat which is only really worth £3K, it doesn't matter that you didn't intend to sell it. What does matter is that you could have bought a boat worth £6K instead.