Yacht wrecked in Holkham Bay

Bigplumbs

Visit site
What were they doing out and about like that putting added pressure on the emergency services and possibly the NHS. I think at the moment we all have a duty to not put ourselves in such positions

WoodyP

Visit site
Holkhm Bay is not sheltered in anything with a North in it. I have waited a few uncomfortable hours waiting for the tide but it is not a safe anchorage. If they had anchor problems then they would soon be on the beach.

Debennut

Visit site
This is so very sad. A very well known boat, kept in the Wellington dock for many years, sailed by a gentleman doctor who was solo cruising, long distances, well into his nineties. The last I heard, having been given a major refit, she was kept on a mooring at Harwich, owned by a very experienced yachtsman.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I don't know where Holkham Bay is..

It's just to the west of Wells on the N Norfolk coast. Where Lady Anne Drive runs out from the Holkam Estate.

Over the years, how much of a 'bay' it's actually been has varied from decade to decade. It's been more of a feature in years gone by and was where the Wells lifeboat was launched if the bar was too shallow or rough. But recently alot of sand has moved in, so hoping to find shelter there in anything other than SE through to SW is a bit optimistic. There was way too much East in the wind the other day and quite some surf running on the beach.

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
This is so very sad. A very well known boat, kept in the Wellington dock for many years, sailed by a gentleman doctor who was solo cruising, long distances, well into his nineties. The last I heard, having been given a major refit, she was kept on a mooring at Harwich, owned by a very experienced yachtsman.
Oh no ,I know her now, old Dr Mehuish boat Trouncer ,such a sad end for a loved and well travelled yacht .