Yacht rescue off Littlehampton.

Sharky34

Visit site
Well he is quite well known in Falmouth and thereabouts racing circles (RCYC Race Officer). Personally I'd thank him for giving me something to watch. A few people round here really are getting a bit carried away, but @Sharky34's ill-informed scaremongering does stand out.
Good, you might listen.
People are not dying of scare-mongering & pls try to justify "ill-informed".

awol

Visit site
Well he is quite well known in Falmouth and thereabouts racing circles (RCYC Race Officer). Personally I'd thank him for giving me something to watch. A few people round here really are getting a bit carried away, but @Sharky34's ill-informed scaremongering does stand out.
I'm surprised that anyone to do with race boats sails a thing like that. Maybe his partner likes scatter cushions and curtains?

Blue Sunray

Visit site
i am sure many are near to dying of boredom from the sh*t which escapes when you remove your finger .. please put it back .

Actually (IMHO) it's amusing (and a cautionary tale) in a 'just how much ignorant people extrapolate from they read in the press headlines" sort of way. Plus of course it fills the time, when one eventually bores of him there's always the ignore function.

Sharky34

Visit site
Actually (IMHO) it's amusing (and a cautionary tale) in a 'just how much ignorant people extrapolate from they read in the press headlines" sort of way. Plus of course it fills the time, when one eventually bores of him there's always the ignore function.
He's gagging to read my next post, so won't do that.

dom

Visit site
Meanwhile an utterly shattered ambulance crew told me today:

1. That they are rushed off their feet with Covid-19 responses
  2. Waiting held outside hospitals which now specify Covid-19 segregated admittance
  3. Forced to replenish oxygen throughout the day
  4. Losing patients in situ where late arrival my have been a factor - some shockingly young
  5. Short on N-95 masks, so making do
  6. Given no CV-19 tests themselves
  7. Mandated to physically attend very ill GP patients for doctors who won’t face-to-face
  8. Triaging hospital A&E patients
  9. And welling up with tears recalling having to tell a mum that she can’t go in the ambulance with her very ill young child - for the child’s sake. And worse, “not even able to give the shocked mum a hug as usual “
This is a shit show and these folk are angels sent from heaven.

This is no time to be a smart-arsed plonker.

bdh198

Visit site
The first two (trying to get home?) are valid, the latter pair are artifacts from bygone days.

That’s a fair point.

It’ll be interesting to see how busy the Solent is with leisure craft this weekend, particularly considering the current forecast.

P.S. I certainly don’t condone people sneaking out for a jolly on their boats, but I can understand the temptations especially if your boat is outside of a marina (e.g. on a swing mooring).

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It's been studied extensively. Ten days after symptoms appear you aren't infectious any more. As more and more of us get it and get over it there may well have to be some way of indicating that we are suitably antibodied.
So far, I understand that there is no evidence that having had COVID-19 confers immunity at all! The common cold is (I am told) caused by a related virus and certainly having had a cold does not confer immunity, or at best partial or short-lived immunity. I will admit that over the years I seem to have become less susceptible to colds than I was in my 20s, but I still get colds.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
So far, I understand that there is no evidence that having had COVID-19 confers immunity at all! The common cold is (I am told) caused by a related virus and certainly having had a cold does not confer immunity, or at best partial or short-lived immunity. I will admit that over the years I seem to have become less susceptible to colds than I was in my 20s, but I still get colds.
I believe that the reason we get colds is that the cold virus mutates constantly, so we aren't actually catching the same cold twice. As we get older we have seen more of the possible versions flying around. Years ago I ran a residential activity for about 100 people which was hit by what we then called "small round structured virus" (SRSV) but now call norovirus.

As the doctor we called in foresaw, the severity of the effects was proportional to youth; most of the children present were laid up for 48 hours, about half those in their twenties were fine and the older people were almost unaffected, though I had a spectacular episode of farting one evening.

On the other hand, cruise ships seem very prone to norovirus and the average age of a cruise customer is about 93. Most odd.

Stemar

Visit site
Would I be right in thinking that the cruise ships that get norovirus tend to be in exotic climes, even if that's only the Med, so get exotic variants of norovirus for which Brits have no immunity? In the same way, we get Montezuma's revenge or Delhi belly, which are simply different variants of our standard intestinal flora.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I believe that the reason we get colds is that the cold virus mutates constantly, so we aren't actually catching the same cold twice. As we get older we have seen more of the possible versions flying around. Years ago I ran a residential activity for about 100 people which was hit by what we then called "small round structured virus" (SRSV) but now call norovirus.

As the doctor we called in foresaw, the severity of the effects was proportional to youth; most of the children present were laid up for 48 hours, about half those in their twenties were fine and the older people were almost unaffected, though I had a spectacular episode of farting one evening.

On the other hand, cruise ships seem very prone to norovirus and the average age of a cruise customer is about 93. Most odd.
I guess that the worst case scenario is that Covid-19 also mutates rapidly, making the development of an effective vaccine very difficult. If I recall correctly, there isn't a vaccine for HIV for pretty much that reason. But I am not an epidemiologist, nor an expert on viruses!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Would I be right in thinking that the cruise ships that get norovirus tend to be in exotic climes, even if that's only the Med, so get exotic variants of norovirus for which Brits have no immunity? In the same way, we get Montezuma's revenge or Delhi belly, which are simply different variants of our standard intestinal flora.
But hospitals in the UK are also foci for norovirus outbreaks. I think it's more to do with lots of susceptible people in a connected space than with exposure to exotic strains of the bug. I don't know, but I guess that the air conditioning in cruise vessels can spread bugs between cabins fairly readily.

However, I recall the manager of a hotel in Hong Kong's words. He was asked if the tap water was drinkable (not by me - my HK relatives had already indoctrinated me to drink boiled water!) His answer stayed with me; "Well, madam, I could drink the water and it would do me no harm, but you didn't grow up with it and could suffer from it." I have occasionally drunk unboiled HK tap water and survived it without problems, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. My wife refuses to drink unboiled water wherever she is - and she worked for the water authority in Havant for a while!