Yacht rescue off Littlehampton.

Sharky34

Visit site
I think a professional delivery crew would have notified the coast guard as soon as they lost the rig which does not necessarily imply they asked for the help which was dispatched. We don't know what they were doing or what, if any, assistance they asked for. They could have been in the netherlands or denmark and been fulfilling the government's request for all Britons to return home. Or maybe they were a couple of idiots going for a sail. We don't know.

I'm somewhat disturbed that people are overly keen to bring out the pitchforks and torches with no knowledge of the facts.
How, could they have been in the netherlands or denmark, when they were off Littlehampton?
I'm somewhat disturbed by you ceeating a fiction to justify this situation.

laika

Visit site
How, could they have been in the netherlands or denmark, when they were off Littlehampton?

I suspect you may have parsed that incorrectly: I was suggesting that one possibility might have been that they had been on the other side of the north sea when the FCO issued its directive and were returning home (e.g. to the solent or points west). Hopefully you'll concur with what the logical route would be in that case. The bottom line is that we have no idea why they were there. I see no point in wanting to assume the worst in people when it may not be true.

Sharky34

Visit site
I suspect you may have parsed that incorrectly: I was suggesting that one possibility might have been that they had been on the other side of the north sea when the FCO issued its directive and were returning home (e.g. to the solent or points west). Hopefully you'll concur with what the logical route would be in that case. The bottom line is that we have no idea why they were there. I see no point in wanting to assume the worst in people when it may not be true.
I still don't understand why you have selected the netherlands & Denmark as possible countries of departure, could using your scenario have been Belgium, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, or the most likely England. Why are you fancifying about the more exotic, rather than accwpt the obvious?
If, as you speculate, they are repatriating themselves, it would have been more logical to use the nearest Port of entry, rather than swan along the south coast.

dunedin

Visit site
Is that, "essential" in today's emergency?

In Boris’ weird definition, surprisingly work doesn’t need to be essential. It just needs to be not possible to do from home (and not on the narrow list of enforced closures).

In Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon has made clear the definition here is both cannot be done from home AND work is essential.
Hence things like Construction are all supposed to be closed here, but still seem to be allowed in England.
So technically in England a yacht delivery could be OK technically (perhaps less so morally), but not in Scotland - at least as far as I can interpret these things.

laika

Visit site
If, as you speculate, they are repatriating themselves, it would have been more logical to use the nearest Port of entry, rather than swan along the south coast.

I am explicitly not "speculating". I have no clue why they were where they were and as a consequence see no point in a public rant about it. If they had been repatriating themselves I suggest that it would be irresponsible to berth in Dover and make their way home on public transport to hamble or wherever when they could make the same journey by boat with no additional human contact.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
So why iis your journey necessary?
Mine? I'm not making any journeys, though I shall probably go shopping on Tuesday. For all of us, the definitions are:

RsPG8Gp.png

of which the bit directly relevant to your question is

g7gn5YQ.png

Sharky34

Visit site
I am explicitly not "speculating". I have no clue why they were where they were and as a consequence see no point in a public rant about it. If they had been repatriating themselves I suggest that it would be irresponsible to berth in Dover and make their way home on public transport to hamble or wherever when they could make the same journey by boat with no additional

Again speculation.
How many people who berth at Hamble, actually live there?
So they still need to get from boat to wherever. At least in Dover they are used to receiving floaty things with refugees, which Hamble is not.

Stemar

Visit site
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think that if they were heading home from abroad, it's entirely reasonable to make for one's home port, especially if one could go directly. There's no more risk of giving or receiving CV, and there'd most likely be the advantage of having their car there, so no need to mix with others on public transport.

OTOH, they may have been entitled twats out for an essential day sail.

V1701

Visit site
There are other "lives at sea" besides stupid pleasure craft owners. Ever heard of merchant seamen?
Of course there are and of course I have, I would have thought it was pretty obvious that my comments were solely directed towards the "stupid pleasure craft owners" and that it would have been a good opportunity for the RNLI to reinforce the fact that pleasure boating, or whatever else you want to call it, should not be taking place...

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Of course there are and of course I have, I would have thought it was pretty obvious that my comments were solely directed towards the "stupid pleasure craft owners" and that it would have been a good opportunity for the RNLI to reinforce the fact that pleasure boating, or whatever else you want to call it, should not be taking place...

MoD Plod seem to be passing the same message.

Ministry of Defence police stop sailors on the water in Portsmouth Harbour amid Covid-19 lockdown

Poignard

Visit site
I agree with your sentiments and if I have failed until now to properly appreciate them, I can only offer you an unreserved opportunity. A pint also, but unfortunately the pubs are shut .......