Yacht rescue off Littlehampton.

V1701

Visit site
I'm surprised reading the linked to article that the RNLI didn't go further than saying they're still available 24/7 to save lives at sea. That's a missed opportunity to reinforce the message that in no unceratain terms we should not be taking our boats out right now. I can't immediatelly see anything on the RNLI site either telling people not to put to sea. You only have to think of all the potential infections and reinfections that could occur as a result of that incident...

Poignard

Visit site
I'm surprised reading the linked to article that the RNLI didn't go further than saying they're still available 24/7 to save lives at sea. That's a missed opportunity to reinforce the message that in no unceratain terms we should not be taking our boats out right now. I can't immediatelly see anything on the RNLI site either telling people not to put to sea. You only have to think of all the potential infections and reinfections that could occur as a result of that incident...
There are other "lives at sea" besides stupid pleasure craft owners. Ever heard of merchant seamen?

dom

Visit site
Sorry, but this smells of an, “I’m all right Jack, up yours!“ attitude.

Whether by poor commissioning, inadequate maintenance, or abject plonkerism, their mast fell over as the vessel was sailing in contravention of multiple Government warnings and requests in a modest F4 wind. As a consequence, an RNLI crew member had to risk his/her own health and possibly that of their family standing next to these plonkers well inside the required 2m zone while sorting out their mess.

Utterly pathetic unless there‘s a valid back story

Apols in advance IF there is.

Last edited:

xyachtdave

Visit site
Only one possibility for not being a plonker - delivery skipper with crew (who live with him) on a delivery trip, doing their work , the type you can't do from home?

shaunksb

Visit site
Only one possibility for not being a plonker - delivery skipper with crew (who live with him) on a delivery trip, doing their work , the type you can't do from home?

Do you not think that a professional delivery skipper with crew would after cutting away the mast not checked to see if she was holed and safe before switching on the donkey and calmly motored into the nearest port of refuge?

laika

Visit site
Do you not think that a professional delivery skipper with crew would after cutting away the mast not checked to see if she was holed and safe before switching on the donkey and calmly motored into the nearest port of refuge?

I think a professional delivery crew would have notified the coast guard as soon as they lost the rig which does not necessarily imply they asked for the help which was dispatched. We don't know what they were doing or what, if any, assistance they asked for. They could have been in the netherlands or denmark and been fulfilling the government's request for all Britons to return home. Or maybe they were a couple of idiots going for a sail. We don't know.

I'm somewhat disturbed that people are overly keen to bring out the pitchforks and torches with no knowledge of the facts.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
They might be live-aboards in which case they are not breaking any rules.
Liveaboard or not we are all got to obey the rules in the country we in .
There 25 liveaboard in our marina , you won't see any of them going any where even after day 17 or is it 18 , losing track, of lockdown other then the super market .
I don't know what the circumstances are in this case but I can't imagine any reason why any of us with boats should be out using them at this time .