Yacht Designer Mornington Crescent

Bajansailor

Visit site
Ramform Titan started a seismic survey job a few weeks ago about 70 miles south east of Barbados - but she had only been out there a few days when she developed problems with her bow thruster, and it could not be repaired out there. So they came back here, sent ashore all of the non-essential crew (like a friend's daughter who is the official whale watcher on board, monitoring the whales re the seismic explosions that are made), and then steamed up to the Grand Bahama shipyard to have repairs carried out.
These repairs had to be done in the water - there are very few dry docks that can accommodate a 70 metre beam!
She arrived back here this morning, probably picked up some supplies and crew, and is now on her way back out to the 'Bimshire' and 'Carlisle Bay' survey blocks to the SE of us.
More photos of her on Marinetraffic.
RAMFORM TITAN (Research/Survey Vessel) Registered in Bahamas - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 9629885, MMSI 311000084, Call Sign C6AL9

She generated a lot of interest when she was here previously, as her sister ship Ramform Atlas was also here at the same time. She is now in the Canary Islands.
RAMFORM ATLAS (Research/Survey Vessel) Registered in Bahamas - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 9629897, MMSI 311000180, Call Sign C6AX2

Pirx

Visit site
moody31.jpg

Off topic, and that thing would be very antisocial in a marina!

I'm playing the double-springs gambit.

Bill Dixon: Moody 31 in there somewhere.

northwind

Visit site
Perhaps its is now time to play my Trump card..

Its big and ugly, but it surely trumps..

2ceb11c664ab4d028458a30a0d1613fa-664x442-c-center.jpg

A history of Donald Trump's luxury yachts - The Gentleman's Journal

Bajansailor

Visit site
I'm going attempt a triple conversion - with rear extension.View attachment 124525

Good grief, what have they done there?
Can you tell us a bit more please about this boat and her history?
That must have been an awful lot of work to add a bit more buoyancy at the back end - and what is the purpose of those two beams sticking out the side of the boat?

Frogmogman

Visit site
That must have been an awful lot of work to add a bit more buoyancy at the back end - and what is the purpose of those two beams sticking out the side of the boat?

? it looks horribly like they are converting it into a trimaran, and to hell with light weight, low wetted surface area, and all of the things that make a trimaran perform as it should.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Perhaps its is now time to play my Trump card..

Its big and ugly, but it surely trumps..

2ceb11c664ab4d028458a30a0d1613fa-664x442-c-center.jpg

A history of Donald Trump's luxury yachts - The Gentleman's Journal
Why would a journal for gentlemen include articles about Donald Trump ?
Puts me in mind of one of the less discussed causes of WWI, the blackballing of Kaiser Wilhelm by the Royal Yacht Squadron.

The Kaiser was a notorious cheat when it came to yacht racing; his membership was reputedly turned down on the grounds that the RYS is a club for gentlemen…..

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Talking of Moodys, we haven’t had Fredk Parker, yet.

His father was a foreman at the Berthon, he started work there in the drawing office but was taken on as an assistant by Fredk Shepherd; after WW2 he went on his own and designed most of the wooden power and sail yachts built by Moody’s. Did not like plastic and retired in 1970.

838EBB5D-9AAD-4BA2-B0E3-63488C2004F6.jpeg

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
This leads on to the rather complicated subject of Jack Jones, who also retired because he didn’t like plastic.

Lived and worked in Woodbridge, Suffolk; brother of George Jones, who was the YM correspondent for this area and a yacht broker. Active from 1946 onwards, when he more or less took over the practice of William Maxwell Blake, until, I fancy, 1971, but I am not wholly sure about that date.

A prolific designer, whose designs are often hard to identify, because he did not follow a distinctive "house style", unlike, say Laurent Giles, who had recognisable "trademarks".

The complications arise because Jack Jones was reputed, like several other “name” designers, to consider that spending time with clients and securing commissions was more important than time spent at the drawing board, so Jack Jones had two draftsmen under him, the first was "Kim" Holman and the second was Peter Brown.

It is said, jokingly, that if a Jack Jones design is a yawl with long, elegant, ends, she's a Holman, and if she is a beefy, shoal draft, motor sailer, she is a Brown! However, this is not to be taken too seriously, the incredibly elegant "Sephine II" looks like she should be by James McGruer, and the solid gaff ketch "Celandine" looks as if she should be Maurice Griffiths, but actually they are both "Brown's"

Most popular design would have to be the Kestel, a clinker built 22ft centreboarder with remarkably good performance, but there are many, many others of all sizes and types, from offshore racers to large powerboats.

My favourite would have to be "Corista", a sort of "butch" version of "Dyarchy" , with a foot more beam and a foot less draft, which was apparently lost in a fire in Canada some years ago.

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
This leads on to the rather complicated subject of Jack Jones.

Lived and worked in Woodbridge, Suffolk; brother of George Jones, who was the YM correspondent for this area and a yacht broker. Active from 1946 onwards, when he more or less took over the practice of William Maxwell Blake, until, I fancy, 1971, but I am not wholly sure about that date.

A prolific designer, whose designs are often hard to identify, because he did not follow a distinctive "house style", unlike, say Laurent Giles, who had recognisable "trademarks".

The complications arise because Jack Jones was reputed, like several other “name” designers, to consider that spending time with clients and securing commissions was more important than time spent at the drawing board, so Jack Jones had two draftsmen under him, the first was "Kim" Holman and the second was Peter Brown.

It is said, jokingly, that if a Jack Jones design is a yawl with long, elegant, ends, she's a Holman, and if she is a beefy, shoal draft, motor sailer, she is a Brown! However, this is not to be taken too seriously, the incredibly elegant "Sephine II" looks like she should be by James McGruer, and the solid gaff ketch "Celandine" looks as if she should be Maurice Griffiths, but actually they are both "Brown's"

Most popular design would have to be the Kestel, a clinker built 22ft centreboarder with remarkably good performance, but there are many, many others of all sizes and types, from offshore racers to large powerboats.

My favourite would have to be "Corista", a sort of "butch" version of "Dyarchy" , with a foot more beam and a foot less draft, which was apparently lost in a fire in Canada some years ago.
There was a nice article about him about 5 years ago in YM by his niece…..

CDCF20CD-0F00-444C-8878-FAEF64BF6A99.jpeg