Yacht depreciation

Quandary

Visit site
I never understand why people replace teak with more teak when Flexiteak is now available . There is a nautical 43 near us which looks good for year but old teak decks certainly would put me off buying a larger boat.

Surely no teak is better than a shyte coloured plastic imitation. The cockpit seats in our Moody are now Flexiteek and it still makes me grind my teeth every time I go aboard. I have got used to the garish Moody upholstery and can now live happily with that but I am baffled why folk replace teak they don't want with a pathetic imitation of it, is it not time that an honest substitute was developed?

Quandary

Visit site
Our Achilles, Trapper and Sigma 33 all sold for more than I paid for them, the Sigma 38 almost broke even after 12 years, as did the Nimbus after 12 months but our Finngulf went down by £50k in 9 years, still was the best value after the Sigma 33.
What baffled me was the Sigma 33 OOD which was in big demand without ever advertising just because it won races, it was a strict one design, any well set up Sigma with decent sails would have been just as fast.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I think that if you buy new and only keep them for 5 years or less, you lose big time. After about 10 years they seem to stop deprecating because inflation builds the gap to a new boat.

In my experience, when you buy an old(er) boat and you keep her in shape you usually get back about what you paid fo her.