Yacht deliveries - EU to UK

Andy Wood

Visit site
Does anyone have any recent knowledge of whether yacht delivery crews are able to bring boats into the UK from Europe - more specifically France - under the current restrictions? I believe delivery crews qualified for exemption of travel restrictions under the UK govt regulations last year and that this is probably still true, but what about the French authorities? Are they letting crews in and under what conditions? Any current wisdom gratefully received!

jonic

www.jryachts.com
I believe Halcyon are delivering still. Have used them professionally and personally and always had excellent service.

Peter Green (owner) often posts on here, so may answer your specific question on this thread.

Fimacca

Visit site
Someone I know picked up a yacht after flying there in france recently and brought a yacht back. That is part of his job.
What the rules really were I know not !

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
Yes, it is certainly possible with UK-based professional yacht delivery crew. You must hold appropriate certification to prove that you are a professional sea-farer (which of course all our crews have).

There is quite a bit of paperwork required which we look after on behalf of our crew and clients. PCR tests also needed.

In a nutshell, it must be a commercial movement with a professional crew (certification, contracts etc will be inspected), this gives exemption from the 7-day isolation in France and 10-day isolation in the UK.

Pete

st599

Visit site
Presumably no longer available for deliveries form Portugal though, as all the allowed Ports of Entry are airports?

ChrisP1

N/A
Visit site
Yes, it is certainly possible with UK-based professional yacht delivery crew. You must hold appropriate certification to prove that you are a professional sea-farer (which of course all our crews have).

There is quite a bit of paperwork required which we look after on behalf of our crew and clients. PCR tests also needed.

In a nutshell, it must be a commercial movement with a professional crew (certification, contracts etc will be inspected), this gives exemption from the 7-day isolation in France and 10-day isolation in the UK.

Pete

Just out of interest, how does it work now with bringing in boats from the EU into the UK if they are liable for VAT? Who is legally the importer and therefore liable for the VAT payment, you the delivery team or your client? I'm guessing of course you cover this in your T's and C's but I'm just wondering who the legal liability actually rests with

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
Just out of interest, how does it work now with bringing in boats from the EU into the UK if they are liable for VAT? Who is legally the importer and therefore liable for the VAT payment, you the delivery team or your client? I'm guessing of course you cover this in your T's and C's but I'm just wondering who the legal liability actually rests with

The vessel owner is responsible for any taxes owed on the vessel.

Pete

Quiddle

Visit site
You must hold appropriate certification to prove that you are a professional sea-farer (which of course all our crews have).

What certification does a professional delivery crew member require? My understanding is that anyone can skipper a delivery professionally provided there are no persons paying to be on board.

Tranona

Visit site
What certification does a professional delivery crew member require? My understanding is that anyone can skipper a delivery professionally provided there are no persons paying to be on board.
Read what he said. He was saying that the delivery crew had to qualify as professional seafarers to be able to work under the existing Covid related regulations - not that a qualification was required to be a delivery skipper.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site

Pete
Not having a go at you, but invented bureaucracy arouses my curiosity: what, exactly, counts as 'certification'? If you are being paid, you are a professional, even if you are getting experience to take your Day Skipper, like plenty of delivery crew (used to) do?

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
My understanding is that if you're being paid by the owner to deliver the boat, then commercial qualification needed.

Absolutely not. Sorry to contradict you, but if I pay my mate, or any other person of my choice, to take my yacht from Cowes to Pompey, or to Tahiti, he doesn't need any tickets at all, RYA,MCA, STCW, zilch.

I have been paid hard cash as an international delivery skipper, holding zero tickets at the time. Private vessels. Legal and insured.

Companies which run their yachts as commercial businesses ought to be held to far higher standards, but that's a different matter. Grey areas which might be partly responsible for loss of life need clarifying. Eg Cheeky R as a sad example.

Private individuals can do what they want... and long may things remain that way!

I wouldn't blame a yacht delivery company for disputing these facts, but they won't be able to prove their outraged assertions.

st599

Visit site
The EU CoVid exception is for professional seafarers. So at the moment I would expect each person needs the relevant paperwork to show, even if in more normal times they don't.

Quiddle

Visit site
Read what he said. He was saying that the delivery crew had to qualify as professional seafarers to be able to work under the existing Covid related regulations - not that a qualification was required to be a delivery skipper.
Not how I read it, and, in any case, that is not so. I have done a Spanish delivery in the last month without any special qualification, just a bilingual letter from a broker confirming the commercial nature of the trip, which no one seemed interested in.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Not how I read it, and, in any case, that is not so. I have done a Spanish delivery in the last month without any special qualification, just a bilingual letter from a broker confirming the commercial nature of the trip, which no one seemed interested in.
Read what Pete wrote rather than what you want to read. He was very specific as to why qualifications were needed for a France to UK delivery - nothing to do with Spain. It is to comply with quarantine regulations, NOT to do with skippering the boat.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Read what Pete wrote rather than what you want to read. He was very specific as to why qualifications were needed for a France to UK delivery - nothing to do with Spain. It is to comply with quarantine regulations, NOT to do with skippering the boat.
What 'qualifications' ?