Yacht at anchor East Head !!

FlyingGoose

Visit site
You would be.

You are a paragon of virtue, never had a car accident, why should rules apply to you?

Perhaps your aspergers limits your ability to see the other side of a debate clearly.

It appears to limit your acceptance of sensible precautions.

IMHO, of course.
Actually a car on the A9 road in Scotland , left there side of the road at 60 mph the driver fell asleep as he come onto our side of the road he hit the motor bike just in front of us with 2 passengers , as those 2 bodies came off they smashed into my VW type 2 camper windscreen and the car took all my side out and spun the Van 180 degrees taken out my back axle , my 4 year old daughter and wife were in the van at the time , we jumped out to aid those lying beside our van the man was badly twisted as my daughter stood watching, I ran to the lady further up the road as she bounced of my van , lying in a pool of blood coming out of her helmet and not moving

As for Aspergers I appreciate we can google a condition but I think it is impractical t o try and tell some one wit hat condition how it is for them that reeks of pompousness , as your point does not makes sense , you say debate clearly , but a debate needs to have 2 differences of opinion to debate , I have my opinion you have yours and we debate the difference is I do not insult or assume your mental condition or presume you have not had a car accident that is the difference

Mote point as I sure you will debate it , I have not had a car accident a car hit me.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
The English regulations on leaving home say 'No person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse' - The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 (SI 2020/350), Regulation 6(1). The legislation contains no exhaustive list of reasonable excuses. It lists some that are reasonable but leaves open that there are others - possibly a great number of others.

If the people on the boat live aboard (even just for duration of the lockdown) it would be a breach of the regulation to leave the boat without reasonable excuse. Arguably moving the boat wouldn't be forbidden by the regulation - it would depend on whether the courts interpreted a boat as a 'place'. If they considered the mooring or anchorage (not the boat) as the 'place where they are living' then it would be an offence for the people to move from that place 'without reasonable excuse'.

Even if they don't live aboard, perhaps they have a reasonable excuse, perhaps they don't.

Derbyshire Police have made a laughing stock of themselves by confusing the law with what they think people should do - trying to pillory people for acts which are perfectly legal.

The point of the legislation and good practice is to prevent people coming into contact with people other than the ones with whom they live. There's an awful lot of ARP Warden Hodges put-that-light-out-ism around. Perhaps we should be grateful that even in these difficult times, the modern day followers of Warden Hodges provide us with something to laugh about.
I take the view that Derbyshire police were trying to stop the spread of the virus from places like Leicester, Nottingham, East Birmingham, Manchester and Sheffield into relatively remote small communities some way from suitably equipped hospitals. Commendable in my view, unlike the selfish or misunderstanding of those who took advantage of the first sunny day for weeks!

Sharky34

Visit site
I don't say that they should be out for a Jolly, we don't know why they are there, but applying all these what if's is a scaremongers dream.
Yes, they should be at home, as I am, but today I have a hospital appointment which I will attend because I've been asked to, now according to you I am putting my local NHS and all around at risk, but as far as I know I'm not virus positive as I've been at home for more than a couple of weeks. I think I am putting myself at more risk than anyone else, but life has to be lived.
Not scaremongering.
Do you think the 4000 bed Nightingale Hospital at Excel, is a dream?
Unless your hospital appointment is critical, perhaps you are putting yourself at risk.
"Because I've been asked too", suggests that like me, you've had a letter of appointment.
My "asked too", I cancelled & got reappointed in Nov 2021, which gives me an indication of how long this will last.

Sharky34

Visit site
Actually a car on the A9 road in Scotland , left there side of the road at 60 mph the driver fell asleep as he come onto our side of the road he hit the motor bike just in front of us with 2 passengers , as those 2 bodies came off they smashed into my VW type 2 camper windscreen and the car took all my side out and spun the Van 180 degrees taken out my back axle , my 4 year old daughter and wife were in the van at the time , we jumped out to aid those lying beside our van the man was badly twisted as my daughter stood watching, I ran to the lady further up the road as she bounced of my van , lying in a pool of blood coming out of her helmet and not moving

As for Aspergers I appreciate we can google a condition but I think it is impractical t o try and tell some one wit hat condition how it is for them that reeks of pompousness , as your point does not makes sense , you say debate clearly , but a debate needs to have 2 differences of opinion to debate , I have my opinion you have yours and we debate the difference is I do not insult or assume your mental condition or presume you have not had a car accident that is the difference

Mote point as I sure you will debate it , I have not had a car accident a car hit me.
May not have been your fault, but much the same result, which confirms why non essential car journies should be banned.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Actually there are lots of reasons why it may be better to self isolate on a boat. We completed on the sale of our house on Friday (We exchanged in October!)with the intention of moving onto our boat. We have however rented a flat and I am very unhappy here. there are a large number of NHS working from these flats and I have to pass through 9, yes 9 fire doors to reach the street. I feel extremely vulnerable in this building and would be much happier on my mooring. Unfortunately I don't have any water on board.

I do not know the situation with the boat that are still moving, but my guess is that these people are largly self sufficent and of no risk to anyone. In any event after a couple of weeks on board it will be obvious that they are not carrying the virus.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I take the view that Derbyshire police were trying to stop the spread of the virus from places like Leicester, Nottingham, East Birmingham, Manchester and Sheffield into relatively remote small communities some way from suitably equipped hospitals.
That is a fine and lofty aim, but the police are not there to implement fine and lofty aims; they are there to implement the law. I really, really don't want to live in a country where the police can enforce anything they think is a good idea at the time.

Sharky34

Visit site
That is a fine and lofty aim, but the police are not there to implement fine and lofty aims; they are there to implement the law. I really, really don't want to live in a country where the police can enforce anything they think is a good idea at the time.
Or use their public spirited common sense it seems.

Triassic

Visit site
That is a fine and lofty aim, but the police are not there to implement fine and lofty aims; they are there to implement the law.......

Err, no they're not. The primary role of a constable is the protection of life and property and the maintenance of order. That is the objective and there are several ways of achieving this, and the laws of the land are some of the tools available to assist them.

Their job is not to use their tools, it is to achieve the objective. How the tools are used will vary according to need and circumstance. If you only measure someone on how often they use a particular tool then they will use it regardless of whether it is appropriate to the circumstance. All these demands that the police act the same way towards everybody all over the country are significantly to blame for the drop in policing standards. If you do not allow someone to be responsible pretty soon they become irresponsible.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I think this may be the same boat that left Burnham for Ramsgate a few days ago.
I think that the main purpose of stopping sailing is to give an impression of fairness to all. Being on a boat in a remote area is an excellent way of isolating yourself, but an observer could say, if he can go sailing, I should be allowed to play golf, or horse-riding etc.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
... an observer could say, if he can go sailing, I should be allowed to play golf, or horse-riding etc.
Is there any reason why someone should not at the moment play golf ("A good walk spoiled") or go horse riding? Dog walking is OK, but I don't know if horses need regular walks

FlyingGoose

Visit site
May not have been your fault, but much the same result, which confirms why non essential car journies should be banned.
That an interesting quote , especially as it injured and paralysed three of the 5 present, and you go on about this virus like you have some form of empathy for those suffering or dying , your like a fart in a thunderstorm , blowing all over the place and stinking out everywhere
Well yours self and Rotax who gave you a little thumbs for your silly comments need to understand when a car leaves their side of the road they have broken the law , hard to understand but as most of your posts are pretty stupid I must assume that is the level of your intelligence , you grasp on the law is very limited and even common sense evades you.
Anyways for the record the man was charged for dangerous driving and giving a custodial sentence ,
Ah Well it is getting boring showing you up all the time

Apologises I have re read your post and it does state may not have been your fault that might give you an excuse to be sympathetic to the outcome but I live in hope :rolleyes:

Triassic

Visit site
And they are allowed to do in a way which contravenes common and/or statute law, are they?

I think you're going to have to give me an example of what you are referring to. The law as it stands requires people to stay at home unless they have a reasonable excuse, and although the legislation provides some example of what might be considered reasonable it is not a definitive or exhaustive list so it falls to the police to apply what they consider reasonable under the prevailing circumstances. What is reasonable in one place at one time may not be somewhere else on another occasion.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
I think you're going to have to give me an example of what you are referring to. The law as it stands requires people to stay at home unless they have a reasonable excuse, and although the legislation provides some example of what might be considered reasonable it is not a definitive or exhaustive list so it falls to the police to apply what they consider reasonable under the prevailing circumstances. What is reasonable in one place at one time may not be somewhere else on another occasion.
It is not for the police to define reasonable it is for the courts to decide if the police have acted to the law laid out by legislation , and as this law leaves many loopholes it would be hard IMHO for a Judge to find driving to a marina which might only be 1 mile away getting on a boat and staying on the water was a direct breach of the laws , IMHO ofc

dom

Visit site
Err, no they're not. The primary role of a constable is the protection of life and property and the maintenance of order. That is the objective and there are several ways of achieving this, and the laws of the land are some of the tools available to assist them.

Their job is not to use their tools, it is to achieve the objective. How the tools are used will vary according to need and circumstance. If you only measure someone on how often they use a particular tool then they will use it regardless of whether it is appropriate to the circumstance. All these demands that the police act the same way towards everybody all over the country are significantly to blame for the drop in policing standards. If you do not allow someone to be responsible pretty soon they become irresponsible.

Ex-Suprem-Court judge Lord Sumption commented yesterday that Derbyshire police had ‘shamed our policing traditions’ and had turned themselves into ‘glorified school prefects’.

And he, shall we say, is well above all of our pay grades on such matters? Details here:
Covid-19: ex-supreme court judge lambasts 'disgraceful' policing

Sharky34

Visit site
I think this may be the same boat that left Burnham for Ramsgate a few days ago.
I think that the main purpose of stopping sailing is to give an impression of fairness to all. Being on a boat in a remote area is an excellent way of isolating yourself, but an observer could say, if he can go sailing, I should be allowed to play golf, or horse-riding etc.
Or call out the emergency services.

Triassic

Visit site
I completely agree with Lord Sumption as it happens, I think the police have displayed a complete lack of common sense, appalling judgement, and generally acted exactly as we expect them to these days, but they did not act illegally as suggested by Jumble Duck. The reason this has come about though does not lay solely with them but as a result of a management that has been driven to respond to the constant need to jump through whatever hoop has been held in front of them that particular week by both politicians and the public. In short the public are getting the police service they deserve!

And Flying Goose, how do the courts get to decide what is reasonable if the police don't put an instance in front of them. Who do you think should decide, the general public? Just look at this thread as an example, loads of people condemning whoever is on this yacht without knowing anything whatsoever about their reasons for being out there.

Sharky34

Visit site
That an interesting quote , especially as it injured and paralysed three of the 5 present, and you go on about this virus like you have some form of empathy for those suffering or dying , your like a fart in a thunderstorm , blowing all over the place and stinking out everywhere
Well yours self and Rotax who gave you a little thumbs for your silly comments need to understand when a car leaves their side of the road they have broken the law , hard to understand but as most of your posts are pretty stupid I must assume that is the level of your intelligence , you grasp on the law is very limited and even common sense evades you.
Anyways for the record the man was charged for dangerous driving and giving a custodial sentence ,
Ah Well it is getting boring showing you up all the time

Apologises I have re read your post and it does state may not have been your fault that might give you an excuse to be sympathetic to the outcome but I live in hope :rolleyes:
Well, delete your stupid post then.

Last edited: