XM Antifoul

brianhumber

Visit site
I used XM Cruising for the first time this year. Since March I have sailed a little over 600 miles. After drying out this weekend I was surprised that large areas have flaked off and the rest was getting the first signs of weed growth. The boat is kept in Itchenor reach and talking to somebody who uses his boat every day in Chichester he said he had the same with XM 2 years ago. Teach me to read and believe the YM articles on antifouling. Has anybody else had/is having the same exprience with this rubbish calling itself antifoul?

Rabbie

Visit site
Brian. I am Emsworth based. I applied XM3000 2x coats at Easter weekend and have done less than 100 miles. No flaking (yet, I hope)but the bright red has turned pink and my twin keels have gone black!. Not very encouraging for such a short period. Rab.

G

I used two coats of XM crusing last year - if I wanted the same level of fouling this year I would have saved my money and covered the bottom with horse sh**.
The boat was sprayed off in early August for the holiday cruise but I was not present.
When it came out in early Nov I was staggered that the boat could have moved at all there was so much fouling - about 6" deep wierd stuff that was of fascination to all that saw it.

God knows what they put in it but its probably a cast-off from Gardeners World.

Mel

Visit site
I used XM last year and was very pleased with the result. I have used the same again this year.
The boat is used on the River Orwell.
I had no problems at all with it dropping off; perhaps the preparation is the problem?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: XM Antifoul and Blakes - a good ending

I used XM3000 for 2 seasons in Chichester Harbour.
Flaking was a major problem - the underlying surface was prepared well, beeing taken back to the epoxy and primed.

As to its antifouling properties, by the round the island race, it was not even worth bothering to do the race. Reantifouled halfway through the year with free supply from XM. Fouled up again very quickly and large areas becam flaky.

I then changed to Blakes Seatek water based. This was even worse than XM. I don't think it should be categorised as an antifouling. This year Blakes supplied me with their new Titan. Last week I gounded whilst anchored (not intentional), and inspected the bottom. - Clean as a whistle, not a sign of slime. the boat was launched mid February. I might have found one that works in Chichester!