Would you winterise engine at Levington?

Orfordcruiser

Visit site
I leave my boat (Dufour 4800) in the water on a pontoon over winter. Would you winterise the engine? I usually do but spoke to a neighbour who said they just pop down every few weeks and run the engine. Thank you for any advice.

pvb

Visit site
I wouldn't. We haven't had serious sub-zero temperatures on the East Coast for a long time, and your engine should be fine (I'm assuming it has freshwater cooling with antifreeze in it). I leave my boat in the water all year round in an East Coast marina, and I can't remember ever winterising an engine in the last 40 years.

I don't necessarily run the engine during the winter either. If you're tempted to do this, be sure to run it in gear until it's reached normal operating temperature.

xyachtdave

Visit site
If you’re not going to use the boat I’d run some antifreeze through the salt water system till it comes out the exhaust.

Not for anti freeze, just to leave an engine friendly liquid in the heat exchanger, muffler etc.

Maybe some fresh oil and fuel filters, won’t do it any harm and you’re good to go next year.

Take the sails off too, nothing worse than mouldy headsails!

MoodySabre

Visit site
I have never winterised my boat in the 15 years I've owned it as I leave it in all winter. I don't run the engine unless I fancy a winter toodle on the river. Genoa and sprayhood and dodgers come off sometime in November. Main stays on unless it needs a clean or repair.

tillergirl

Visit site
You could have a look at the Motor Boat Forum: there are usually several threads about the 'Don't give the engine a run for an hour or so/Give the engine a run' debate. Most end up saying leave it alone. I have always gone ashore for the winter so like xyacht I have run anti-freeze in the salt water side and left it in. That has worked fine with no heating ashore (which I think is colder than afloat) for 38 years. But I would argue you should change your oils and filter now - get rid of the nasties rather than allowing the acidity sitting there for 5 months.

Plum

Visit site
I leave my boat (Dufour 4800) in the water on a pontoon over winter. Would you winterise the engine? I usually do but spoke to a neighbour who said they just pop down every few weeks and run the engine. Thank you for any advice.
Another vote for not winterising an engine. It's worked for me for 40 years. Mine have been indirect cooling systems and I have never flushed antifreeze through the saltwater circuit. Change the oil. Spray everything with WD40 (other products are available). Give it a run from time to time but ONLY if you take the boat out and give it a good run for at least half an hour each time, otherwise do not run it.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I would think running antifreeze through the system on a boat in the water might be illegal as it results in a very nasty pollutant being pumped out of the exhaust?

tillergirl

Visit site
This has been discussed elsewhere before - opt for the environmentally friendly OAT. Flush with copious fresh water through the salt water side and then add only a limited amount to stay in the waterlock (so it doesn't freeze). Collect it before launch. Once upon a time, manufacturers produced and recommended inhibiting oil for that purpose but they stopped that around 2000.

johnalison

Visit site
Living half an hour from my boat, the advantage of winterising is that it leaves me free not to have to visit the boat so often in the depths of winter. This year I am a bit stuck as I have only run the engine for maybe ten to twenty hours and the oil is hardly discoloured. I think that I might change the oil and leave it, but I'll speak to the engineers first.

tillergirl

Visit site
Living half an hour from my boat, the advantage of winterising is that it leaves me free not to have to visit the boat so often in the depths of winter. This year I am a bit stuck as I have only run the engine for maybe ten to twenty hours and the oil is hardly discoloured. I think that I might change the oil and leave it, but I'll speak to the engineers first.
The Mobo forum had a thread about 'is it worth changing the oil'. Most of them declined on the grounds of little use but we could note that many had their boats in the Med and had huge engines requiring very substantial amounts of oil - ergo not really bad weather over the winter and the cost so easily rationalised? I had hoped someone might have mentioned about the age of the oil. If I recall the Volvo 2030 was the quicker of 200 hrs or one year. With the antient (sic) Mobo, the main engine manaufacturer says 200 hrs or 4 months (not a modern oil) and the Yanmar auxilliary :rolleyes: just says 100 hrs, no time limit (filter 250 hrs). I had run on the main engine for 38 hrs this season and the auxilliary for about 2hrs (practising!) . I have changed the oil and filter of the main engine just because it's an old engine, I had fresh all ready and I think the previous owner had little used the engine and never serviced it. So I fancied giving it a sort of flush. The Gearbox is specified at 800 hrs for change - it's ATF and no time period so I have left that alone and I have left the auxiliary alone. I think I will remove the impeller from the Yanmar for the winter. The main engine is recommended to remove the impeller (not easy to get at!) for the winter. The winterize instructions for the main engine are quite involved. The atomisers are due for service, ditto valve tip clearance (aka injectors and tappets ;)).

But how important is this age issue about oil? Anyone definitively know?

oldgit

Visit site
Am fortunate enough to live 15 mins from boat floating in tidal salt water .Can get up to over 2 knots .
Have never winterised but can pop down if a real cold snap threatens.
Have never faffed with dehumidifiers, always left a hatch and port hole open for decent airflow.
Do have tube heater in bilge if another Ice Age threatens to cross the Thames esturary from Essex.

Reactions: pvb

Bonly1950

Visit site
Use it! The best way to winterise a boat is to use it. A boat contains a multitude of systems that hate inactivity - particularly the engine.

Change the engine oil and replace the oil filter before leaving your boat for the winter.

johnalison

Visit site
Use it! The best way to winterise a boat is to use it. A boat contains a multitude of systems that hate inactivity - particularly the engine.

Change the engine oil and replace the oil filter before leaving your boat for the winter.
That is all very well for those that live near their boats. The short days and cold weather make winter unrewarding for me, though we did try it for a few years after I retired. In the end, it was too much bother for not very much return, and I felt obliged to go down regularly to check things and run the engine to hot. I think the boat is happier winterised, dehumidified and the sails taken to safety This year we, the engineer and I, decided that the almost clean oil would be fine, so he just sealed the engine and I will leave the boat in until spring, as the anodes will be fine.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Kept our previous boat at SYH for nearly a decade.
Always stayed in over winter.
Never winterised the engine.
Though, in fairness, I should add that we took her out sailing whenever the weather allowed.