worst case story

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
I've just finished the book "Left for dead" from Nick Ward.
I higly recomand it to anybody questionning about JC....
It is frightening.
I would not caution all the boat management but, in such conditions, they did as they could!
Don't leave it in open access to your family it may induce a veto (my wife doesn't read easily in english.)
Eric

FAITIRA

Visit site
I do think you can read to many disaster stories, better to read about the boring, well managed, successful passages imho.

nickrj

www.bigoceans.com
I read a bunch of disaster stories in La Coruna (it was in fact a book solely dedicated to the subject!), and it took me five days to recover and forget them before I could sail again!

Sometimes they are useful to learn about how the crew handled the situation, but more often than not, they just stop you from sailing!!

I've met quite a few people who are real 'sail geeks' - They read absolutely everything - So much so they are an expert on every single topic - But, with that, they are utterly paralyzed with fear because of it!

bobfrost

Visit site
I saw a sticker on the back of a van in the US which said

'It's not a real sport unless you can die from massive internal injuries'.

So it goes..... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

helixkimara

Visit site
Bonjour.
I think everyone is being the 3 Monkeys. “Left for Dead” is a lovely novel with everything in it that makes a “nice” read with a cup of hot chocolate for bed.

Have you read “Try sailing home with a Boom through ya intestines and a guard rail post in ya eye” its fun. Especially the seagull bit and his good eye.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Tomato

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
Hi Eric

If you want a really good read, and a taster for what many of us are letting ourselves in for, then you MUST get a copy of Roger Taylors book 'Voyages of a Simple Sailor.' It's just been published by the Fitzroy press.

Roger is one of those quietly competent sailors who just get on with it - coming through some horrific seas intact and unbowed, mainly due to good preparation and an easily handled boat. His book covers his time spent on a square rigger - the Endurance 2 - which was spectacularly shipwrecked ( with Roger aboard) off the coast of New Zealand. His experiences - and he tells them with an easy, self-depracating style - will have you enthralled. I damn near missed my train-stop as I battled off a lee shore with him in the dead of night.

He goes on to describe how the shipwreck altered his view of sailing - making him more determined to be self-reliant, and develop an unsinkable boat. Of great interest to Jesters will be the narrative of his participation on the 2006 event in his 21ft junk-rigger Corribee Ming Ming( you'll recognise quite a few names and boats) and the decisions he made. I equally enjoyed his engineless trip from Burnham to actually get to the start ( Roger doesn't believe in having an iron topsail). How he worked the wind and tide - avoiding marinas and anchoring in some unlikely places - to get to Plymouth is a real testament to applied seamanship.

Perhaps more than anything, it's a thoughtful book - exploring the alure of the seas - and all it's moods - and how it can affect the lone sailor as an exhiliarating, uplifting experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it's just a pity that his most recent Round Britain via Iceland ( again without an engine) isn't in there. That's for another volume, I hope.

To find out more, visit Rogers site - www.the simplesailor.com. We'll be doing a full review in PBO. Despite the storms, shipwrecks and other interesting situations Roger has got into over the years, this book will inspire you to get out there in a minimalist boat - rather than scare the bejeezus out of you! Highly recommended read - but not on a train.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
I think the real good English to express my feeling would be : " You Bl... Bas...!" (I should check that with Mike)
I ordered the book on Amazone as soon as I could but the abroad delivery is delayed; I hope due to a great success.
So I'm just waiting in front of my letter bock, my mouth leaking as an old dog in front of a bone, and you explain me that I should read it!
I'll be a litle more patient and it will arrive soon.
Merci
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Amazone advized me yesterday that they have packed the book.
I don't know where from and the travel mode "MingMing express" maybe.
Anyway, I't's coming!!!

andlauer

Visit site
Bonsoir
It already over! It didn't last the weekend. Hopefully it is written in English so my reading is slower and more tiring!
It was half past one on saturday night, my eyes were falling and I was still going for "an other last page" like a ten years old boy.
It has only one default: when you find the world "end" you are frustrated and waiting for the next one : "Ming Ming northern voyage" perhaps.
A great book with lots of adviced and a very expressive description of life being alone offshore.
It gave me, if necessary, the will to go back!!!
Merci Roger.

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
Hear hear. I finished it today also. truly a fine book. I read in the same way, just one more page, just one more page. We must have been reading in tandem Eric.
Nicki