World's largest sailing ship visits Harwich 4/8/21

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Got this message from RHYC yesterday, and thought others might be interested.

'Largest Sailing Vessel in the World
For those who are interested, the largest sailing vessel in the world "Golden Horizon" will be in Harwich on 4th August. She is due to arrive at 0600 and depart 1700.'

With such precise times indicated, presumably it won't be arriving and departing under sail. :(

A bit about the ship here -
Golden Horizon - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Marmalade

Visit site
Saw that 5 master as were were heading back to Shotley from Dover the other day... offshore of us by c. 5 miles

Bajansailor

Visit site
More photos of her on Marinetraffic
GOLDEN HORIZON (Passenger) Registered in Croatia - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 9793545, MMSI 238021000, Call Sign 9A6701

I was wondering what had happened to Royal Clipper's 'big sister' - Little Sister's wiki link mentions that the Royal Clipper folk had a dispute with the Builders, and she is now operated by Tradewind Voyages .
Our Ship - Tradewind Voyages

Royal Clipper had / has a few of her square sails stowed conventionally, ie there were lines (buntlines?) for hauling the sail up to the yard, where the crew would then do a 'proper' stow aloft with the rope gaskets.
But all of the square sails on Golden Horizon appear to be furling inside the yards.
ROYAL CLIPPER (Passenger Ship) Registered in Malta - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 8712178, MMSI 215813000, Call Sign 9HA2796

My parents went on a cruise on Royal Clipper about 10 or 12 years ago from here, and they were very impressed by her.

Last edited:

DavidonMersea

Visit site
Looks like she's up in the international terminal, according to latest AIS. I'm not aware of a webcam up there.
Ha'penny pier left shows the international terminal in the distance, and the Harwich Hook ferry can be seen up there. However, it might be behind the survey vessel