World ARC suspended

Toutvabien

Visit site
This is clearly not the year to be undertaking a circumnavigation. World ARC is being suspended in Tahiti with the plan to restart next year.

Anybody got any good news

nortada

Visit site
So will the Rally Portugal be cancelled❓

If not under current regulations, rather than enter a marina, they will have to anchor off.

Yesterday Portimao refused entry to a cat. Insisting that the boat remained on the fuel pontoon and the crew on board.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
So will the Rally Portugal be cancelled❓

If not under current regulations, rather than enter a marina, they will have to anchor off.

Yesterday Portimao refused entry to a cat. Insisting that the boat remained on the fuel pontoon and the crew on board.
I wonder if that the one trying to head back to the UK. he was asking if he could get fuel in Gib ,
few was encourage him by saying that he could enter Portuguese water .
when will these people stop trying to move .

nortada

Visit site
I wonder if that the one trying to head back to the UK. he was asking if he could get fuel in Gib ,
few was encourage him by saying that he could enter Portuguese water .
when will these people stop trying to move .

Well, if so he is well and truly in Portuguese Waters now and appeared to be permitted to take on fuel.

He could now do Portugal/UK in a single hop but from personal experience, it will be a long way initially, against the prevailing wind - The Nortada!

If it were me, I would continue west well beyond Vincent, then north (outside The Bay) into the Western Approaches and up The Channel. On thing the crew will have been in self isolation for the 14 days.

nortada

Visit site
14 days Algarve to UK??

Must be going the scenic route. :)

1,300nm, Well out towards Madeira to pick up favorable winds or inshore and take on the Nortada.

The time we did the inshore route, some days we made less than 50 nm mean line of advance in a 55ft sloop.

Cats don't go too well to windward!

Last edited:

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
There you go, scenic route extra 300 to 400 miles. St Vincent to Finisterre is only just under 400nm. Last time I went up that way, 2 years ago, Gib to Brest took 9 days. Bavaria 44.

The longest cat delivery I did was from St Lucia to Croatia. Lots of uphill. Fontaine Pajot Lavezzi. Fast on a reach though.

But if you want a cat that does go to windward (engines!!) try a Sunreef 74. Most comfortable transat I ever did, Antigua to Barcelona.

As you do. :)(y):)

nortada

Visit site
There you go, scenic route extra 300 to 400 miles. St Vincent to Finisterre is only just under 400nm. Last time I went up that way, 2 years ago, Gib to Brest took 9 days. Bavaria 44.

The longest cat delivery I did was from St Lucia to Croatia. Lots of uphill. Fontaine Pajot Lavezzi. Fast on a reach though.

But if you want a cat that does go to windward (engines!!) try a Sunreef 74. Most comfortable transat I ever did, Antigua to Barcelona.

As you do. :)(y):)

So how much fuel/range does at average cat have 1,000nm?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Dunno what you want to call average? The Lavezzi Idelivered with no extra fuel had 15hp engines. Azores to Lagos Portugal was a reach. The rest of it was a beat. Got me from final departure St Maarten (fix autopilot) to Azores .

I skipper an FP slightly smaller (Athena) as a relief skipper on local charters. Tank seemed to last half a season! But thats been re engined from 15's to 25's. No idea of consumption.

Loong time ago I delivered a Prout Quest from Glasgow to Gib. IIRC I sailed most of it but picked up fuel in S. Ireland and F.De Foz. But that was a dinky kibota as I recall.

So....straight answer? Dunno! :) :)