Woolverstone - no more lift-outs!

Simi

Visit site
visited woolverstone last year had a great night or two food was good this year they seem not to be interested myself and a few others wanted to moor there a few weeks ago on our way back from ipswich when we passed there was plenty of room but when they were called they wouldn’t have us as we passed them on the way back they still had plenty of room seems very strange perhaps they don’t like money

ex-Gladys

Visit site
It's the Loch & Quay. Reviews on TripAdvisor are mixed, with some shockers. Friends went and weren't impressed.

LOCH & QUAY, Woolverstone - Updated 2021 Restaurant Reviews, Menu & Prices - Tripadvisor
I ate there this year. It was the only place we could book for four, and that should have been a clue. It was THE WORST meal I have had out in years. Firstly, the table was filthy, understood why there was a paper table cloth, but it should have been changed before we were shown to the table. The "maitre d'" was "wearing" a mask - around his chin. The food was DREADFUL, all microwaved (except the salads) and if something was mentioned on the menu, it was one piece (e.g salad with artichoke hearts) probably from a tin. I had spaghetti carbonara with less than 6 tiny chips of ham or bacon.

The more junior staff were excellent, but NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Greg2

Visit site
We have heard very mixed reviews about the Loch and Quay and they have had to close at times due to a shortage of staff, which isn’t uncommon currently. We had lunch there during a visit in July and whilst staff shortages meant that service was slow our pizzas were excellent. Running a seasonal restaurant must be a tricky business so I hope that it remains viable because it is a lovely spot.

We briefly had a permanent berth in the marina two or three years ago and and we always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful but we were under no illusions that MDL are a company focussed on maximising profit. We didn’t like the fact that hard standing incurred an additional cost but for it to be no longer available would be a real minus point.

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
We have heard very mixed reviews about the Loch and Quay and they have had to close at times due to a shortage of staff, which isn’t uncommon currently. We had lunch there during a visit in July and whilst staff shortages meant that service was slow our pizzas were excellent. Running a seasonal restaurant must be a tricky business so I hope that it remains viable because it is a lovely spot.

We briefly had a permanent berth in the marina two or three years ago and and we always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful but we were under no illusions that MDL are a company focussed on maximising profit. We didn’t like the fact that hard standing incurred an additional cost but for it to be no longer available would be a real minus point.
I'm trying to think of East Coast marinas that charge for car parking, and or, trailer parking. Many are free, but you are likely to get locked in if hours are not adhered to. Do you get charged if you are guests of a berth holder ?

jon and michie

Visit site
Off the point, but the new restaurant at Woolverstone, called I think “Lock and Key”,(?) is really good, and deserving of support.
With whats going on at the marina with lift outs they wont be getting much support if the berth holders leave the marina (thats if you can call it a marina if it needs dredging and no lift outs!!!)

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
So is there anyone here who is at Woolverstone and has anything been asked / responded to by the onsite office ?

The efficient and helpful staff at Woolverstone are loyal to their employers but one cannot help thinking that Woolverstone is an “outlier” for MDL. I noticed reluctance on the part of Hamble Point to confirm my reservation under the MDL away berthing scheme, because of course the fees are much higher in the Solent.

Blueboatman

Visit site
The efficient and helpful staff at Woolverstone are loyal to their employers but one cannot help thinking that Woolverstone is an “outlier” for MDL. I noticed reluctance on the part of Hamble Point to confirm my reservation under the MDL away berthing scheme, because of course the fees are much higher in the Solent.
Never had a problem with away booking at Premier .

Staff loyalty is a real asset sending out waves of calming existing customers and indeed wooing, generating new ones. Should be in the debit/asset column of a business really I feel not ignored by the bean counters

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The booking was denied twice by Hamble Point and only confirmed on the second phone call from the ever helpful Kelly Sharman at Woolverstone!

In fairness to MDL this was in a week before a SIBS, and they did finally confirm it. But it made me wonder if MDL Head Office might perhaps think that owning Woolverstone is not an unmixed blessing!

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
I'm trying to think of East Coast marinas that charge for car parking, and or, trailer parking. Many are free, but you are likely to get locked in if hours are not adhered to. Do you get charged if you are guests of a berth holder ?

Good question and I don’t know the answer! We weren‘t there long as SWMBO had an accident aboard and we returned to our old mooring on the Broads whilst she recuperated. When we did have visitors we didn’t lay anything but that may have been a transgression of their rules!