Woodwork refurbishing, my recent PowerPoint presentation.

Concerto

Visit site

Concerto

Visit site
I only have one question. Why laquer and not varnish ?
When being built all Westerly's were finished with lacquer. It has performed well for 40 years, so I felt it was worth using the same finish. The lacquer is still made today by Morrells and they supply via a chain of trade counters the furniture and wood finishing businesses. Several other owners said the lacquer was very easy to apply and fast drying. Plus at about £60 for 5 litres of lacquer (with catalyst) and thinners, is far cheaper than marine varnishes.

ctva

Visit site
I’m interested in the p9 treatment of water ingress with bleach. Do you have any more details or pics with Before and after?

thanks for posting even though I’m a Jeanneau owner. ?

Concerto

Visit site
I’m interested in the p9 treatment of water ingress with bleach. Do you have any more details or pics with Before and after?

thanks for posting even though I’m a Jeanneau owner. ?
Unfortunately I do not have any photos at the moment, lockdown is the reason. In the past I have used bleach on stained wood with great results, but no photos. As soon as I do the bleaching and relacquering, I will post some more photos. When I finally finish the whole interior, I will update the original PowerPoint presentation with lots more photos and information.

No need to apologise for being a Jeanneau owner, there are lots of them. :)

Concerto

Visit site
Thanks for this. Some of my main cabin veneer is beyond repair I think. Not the whole panel. A corner. Can the veneer be bought and colour matched or is that wishful thinking.
Yes, veneers can be bought easily. In fact last week I bought a box of veneer off cuts on eBay for £7.50. Huge variety on offer on eBay, just use the PowerPoint presenetation to confirm whether you have Sapele or Teak and buy accordingly. If you prefer to visit a local company, when lockdown eases, then this one is near to you. Timberline Exotic Hardwoods | Veneers | Marquetry Inlays | Kent, UK

Any bare wood including veneers can be made darker using wood stain. My preference is water, not spirit, base stains as they are more controllable. Wipe on and then wipe off is all that is needed for a veneer. The trick is knowing which stain to use and how long to leave on. You can also dilute them if too strong and when being applied you do not get edge lines on large areas like spirit ones.

Concerto

Visit site
I take it on the sole boards you need to be very careful not to go through the veneer?
Any veneered plywood has only about 0.6mm of veneer. So yes, you have to be careful. Through trial and error, I found my sole boards had been repeatedly recoated and ended up moving from 180 grit to 80 grit. What is critical when using an orbital sander, is speed control. The faster it moves, the faster it sands - so keep it slow. Watch for build up on the sandpaper as this can mark the plywood, so change the paper regularly. I find about every 7 to 8 minutes is normal. The final advice is to watch the colour of the dust. As soon as it changes from white to brown, STOP sanding. From this point you hand sand in the direction of the grain with 120 grade. Then you start cleaning out any dents and scratches. Finally wipe it down with a damp J cloth as any remaining finish stops the wood from getting damp. Leave to dry and sand any areas that showed any remaining finish and recheck. Remember the time spent on preparation is critical for a better final finish.

laika

Visit site
Thank you for this (and for what you've published previously): I am clueless when it comes to woodwork having given it up at school at the earliest opportunity and the clarity with which you've explained what you've done with concerto has inspired me to sort out my own tired looking woodwork when I'm allowed back to my boat.

You've also reminded me that perhaps I shouldn't just be ignoring WOA mails as I can now attend meetings without leaving the flat (and sorry that that is what I must have done as I missed your presentation)

Concerto

Visit site
Thank you for this (and for what you've published previously): I am clueless when it comes to woodwork having given it up at school at the earliest opportunity and the clarity with which you've explained what you've done with concerto has inspired me to sort out my own tired looking woodwork when I'm allowed back to my boat.

You've also reminded me that perhaps I shouldn't just be ignoring WOA mails as I can now attend meetings without leaving the flat (and sorry that that is what I must have done as I missed your presentation)
The Zoom presentation was recorded and is available to WOA members on the web site. Go to Member Services tab, then Other Member Services and then click on Zoom Meeting Documents. The first item is the talk.

For non WOA members, I know you would love to see it but it is a benefit of being a WOA member. At least I ensured the PowerPoint presentations are available to all on the Westerly Wiki and they cover the bulk of all the points I made.