Winterizing Best Practise in Cardiff Bay

steveej

Visit site
Had to scrape ice off the car windscreen this morning and it got me thinking about winterizing the boat as I'll be down this weekend.

Given the shortage of hardstanding in Cardiff Bay, my impression is that most boats stay in the (fresh) water for most of the winter has anyone know of any issues from freezing water tanks, calorifiers, pipework, raw water side of the engine?

What is a locals view of best practice in terms of what should be done when?

My boat is likely to be out on the hard during January and February, but in the water the rest of the time and there should be no osmosis issues.

I am fortunate in that I am only one hours drive away so can get down most weekends.

What do people do?

Sneds

Visit site
You're less likely to get frozen in the water than on the hard as the water acts as in insulator

Get some oil filled radiators, leave a window slightly open, brim the diesel tank and add some marine 16, get some moisture traps from a caravan shop and all should be good

david_bagshaw

Visit site
If on the hard jan and feb, be certain to remove all water from systems. dont rely on shore power. you can guarantee it will fail, get pulled out etc.

Birdseye

Visit site
I do nothing much other than drain the fresh water tank and make sure the engine cooling system ( fresh water cooled engine) is full of antifreeze. I am lucky in that I am n B ponton so ice rarely forms round the hull. A pal who was much further in had to use his boat as an ice breaker to get out - lucky it was a big old lump of a thing. I have heard of boats further into the pontoon system having engine issues because they are more sheltered in there.

More likely to get problems on the hard because you are more exposed.

graham

Visit site
For a seawater cooled engine :Close engine seacock .remove hose from the sea cock.Put end of hose in a bucket of antifreeze mix.start engine stop engine when bucket nearly empty.

If you have a heat exchanger cooled engine do above plus drain heat exchanger or check antifreeze mix is ok with an antifreeze tester from Halfords.

Sponge water out of toilet and drain pipes. Empty fresh water tank.

russ

Visit site
For a seawater cooled engine :Close engine seacock .remove hose from the sea cock.Put end of hose in a bucket of antifreeze mix.start engine stop engine when bucket nearly empty.

If you have a heat exchanger cooled engine do above plus drain heat exchanger or check antifreeze mix is ok with an antifreeze tester from Halfords.

Sponge water out of toilet and drain pipes. Empty fresh water tank.

I don’t have seawater cocks so I guess this wouldn’t be possible? Although isn’t sea water less liable to actually freeze?

graham

Visit site
Seawater does freeze but at a lower temperature than fresh so not normally a big problem in South of UK.

If you have an inboard seawater cooled engine without a seacock it could lead to it sinking should a pipe split or other leak occur.

steve350

Visit site
A waterlogged rudder can freeze and split apart on boats that have been lifted out for the winter. Seen a few examples over the years. Some people drill a drain hole at the bottom of their rudder as a form of prevention.

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
I don’t have seawater cocks so I guess this wouldn’t be possible? Although isn’t sea water less liable to actually freeze?

My engine is half seawater, half closed loop. I have no seacock.

However, my metal intake pipe has a bend upwards before it switches to rubber for a section. This brings it above the waterline. I can unclip the pipe clips around the rubber, twist the rubber bit around, then rig up a funnel (usually a coke bottle+duck tape), fire up the engine whilst it guzzles 4L of antifreeze, then shut her down.

I'm moored in Portishead, which doesn't often freeze over (like others said, the water acts as an insulator, keeping hull to >0C), so this year I'm just leaving a 40W tube heater in the engine bay, under the engine. If I see temperatures predicted to go below -5C, I'll get down with the antifreeze. I suspect I'll be good to -8C without antifreeze (with heater).

rickwales

Visit site
I have had boats at CBYC for many years and can remember finding frozen water in the bilge a few years ago (In fact there was ice floating in the bay), I visit my boat most weekends but drain the block during the winter months and have never had a problem. (Seawater cooled volvos)
If your not sure where your drain plug is or how to drain the block give me a shout and i will come and show you!
Its quite common for cast manifolds to crack so you need to ensure theres no water left in them!!