Winter trip out on the Deben 2nd November 2021

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Ahoy there Mr BP nice video of your trip up river to the Rocks n back again , thanks enjoyed it .

Might I ask ? think you launched at Ferry Boatyard slip ; is that a FREE to launch slipway by any chance ? when I was up there earlier this year I could not get a straight clear answer from the Yard fellas !

So if you would be so good , free or payable please ?

Thanks CP

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Ahoy there Mr BP nice video of your trip up river to the Rocks n back again , thanks enjoyed it .

Might I ask ? think you launched at Ferry Boatyard slip ; is that a FREE to launch slipway by any chance ? when I was up there earlier this year I could not get a straight clear answer from the Yard fellas !

So if you would be so good , free or payable please ?

Thanks CP

There are 2 Slips next to each other with a small beech in-between. The Slip I use you have to pay and is in the boat yard. The stone very old slip is outside of the yard and is administered by the Felixstowe water ski club and I think there is a charge but never seems to be anyone to collect the payment. If you use this one (which is cheaper I think) there is no where easy to Park.

There is a board outside the main barrier with charges for the better concrete slip in the yard. I think it is £30 for a powered craft but I pay annually so cant remember the one off charge.

So in short yes both are pay slips.

Hope this helps

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Ahoy again Mr BP many thaks for the slip info ; yes the Ferry Boatyard offers parking car n trailer I guess; fair bit of room in the Yard .

Supprising just how few other boats /craft showed any sign of activity or occupancy in the Video

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Ahoy again Mr BP many thaks for the slip info ; yes the Ferry Boatyard offers parking car n trailer I guess; fair bit of room in the Yard .

Supprising just how few other boats /craft showed any sign of activity or occupancy in the Video

Yes it was mid week and many boats were out of the water. But is was a very good tide time and low wind and sunny so thought their might have been more. I think after November starts many boaters stop for the Season

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Ahoy there Mr BP , might mention that a family member owned the Ferry Boatyard during the WW2 years producing boats for the Admirality , we used to play around the Boat Park area , it was fun when the extra High Tide came up over the Boat Park causing Flooding ; likewise the area now a Car Park next to some Housing and the Cafe used to flood , great fun as a kid;

There also used to be more peoples living in the ex Admiralty Boat Hulls lying on the local Saltings and along the Sea Wall , we lost a some friends during the 1953 floods , unfortunately ; so visits to the Ferry are a mix of emotions for us .

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Ahoy there Mr BP , might mention that a family member owned the Ferry Boatyard during the WW2 years producing boats for the Admirality , we used to play around the Boat Park area , it was fun when the extra High Tide came up over the Boat Park causing Flooding ; likewise the area now a Car Park next to some Housing and the Cafe used to flood , great fun as a kid;

There also used to be more peoples living in the ex Admiralty Boat Hulls lying on the local Saltings and along the Sea Wall , we lost a some friends during the 1953 floods , unfortunately ; so visits to the Ferry are a mix of emotions for us .
That is very interesting to learn that bit of History. What I particularly love about the boat yard is it’s old style ’messy’ charm and feel of a real place. I go to many marinas and the new tidy ones are sometimes a little soulless

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Really lovely video. Thanks.

Many thanks I make these little videos just for fun and as a keepsake for us to watch back on the TV in the future. If others like them also then that Pleases us a lot. I only use simple equipment to make them and spend probably 1 hour editing them so they could be a lot better but for the intended purpose we feel they are ok.

Thanks again