Tel: 01646 683 661
Fax: 01646 621 398
Email: Martin@kelpieboats.com

Marine & Port Services
The Dockyard
Pembroke Dock
Pembrokeshire
Office Tel: 01646 623 400

I don't know who to use in Fishguard but these people might be able to help or point you in the right direction.
Goodwick Marine
1 Wern Road
Goodwick
Fishguard
Pembrokeshire SA64 0AA
Tel: 01348 874 590
Email: gdwkmarine@aol.com

George

Visit site
Sorry Orbister, you asked for recommendations, I just gave you a list. I have used and found helpful the following :-

Windjammer Marine
Milford Marina
Dale Sailing Co

PM me if you wish to contact me.
Hope this helps, George

C

catalac08

East LLanion Marine used to be very cheap to haul out/in (very new travelhoist down a wide and long concrete slip, about £40-£50 less each way than others), very cheap storage rates compared to most others in the haven and excellent security. The yard owner Vance is also extremely helpful and flexible. I think he only does a minimum period of 4/5 months though.

Matt341

Visit site
Hi There,

We use East Llanion Marine, Vance is really helpful and he was very flexible when our new boat was brought there on a low loader.

He is one of the cheapest in the area I think and the yard has electric/water.

The only downside is its dependant on tides but he is one of the few in the area who will lift on weekends which is great.

We used to be in Milford marina as a bertholder and you were allowed a few months out of the water without paying storage but we have since moved to another marina and as far as im aware their yard facilities are for bertholders only but im not 100%. There is also a lock to get into Milford marina.

Another option is dale sailing which arent so dependant on tides but only lift weekdays. Their yard is good and they have a good hoist but im not sure how their charges compare to East Llanion.

Both Dale sailing and East Llanion have excellent access by road.

Hope all goes well with your new boat. Is it Jumble by any chance?

Hope this helps
Ian

ribdriver

Visit site
Have heard a horror story about Dale Sailing about 2 hours ago from a sailor who has just left Milford Haven. Apparently he was hauled out for a some work there which was meant to take 2 weeks and took 5, at vast expense. Just one job alone, on the exhaust, where they quoted him £100 and it actually cost over 4 times that. Of course he was trapped ashore as they would not relaunch him until paid for.

CaptainSnoopy

Visit site
I second ribdrivers remarks about Dale Sailing. I'm based in Neyland Marina have also been stung by Dale Sailing in a similar vein. The feeling in the Marina is that berth holders wouldn't touch them with a barge pole or if they do it's as a last resort and expect the worst.

By complete contrast Vance at East Llanion Marine is true gentleman and always willing to help. I've also used Rudders and they always come up with the goods.

Just my two pennies worth.

Last edited:

wotayottie

Visit site
I'm in the process of buying a Victoria 26. She's in Milford Haven and will be coming up to the Solway in due course. Since that trip might be a little more fun in spring, I wondered if anyone could recommend a yard around there which would do storage ashore for a few months?

Given that you will want to play with the boat during the winter and given how much of a PITA the journey from Scotland will be, why dont you move the boat east to Cardiff where there are severall yards and they are on / very close to the M4

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Given that you will want to play with the boat during the winter and given how much of a PITA the journey from Scotland will be, why dont you move the boat east to Cardiff where there are severall yards and they are on / very close to the M4

That's not a bad idea. Can you or anyone recommend a yard in Cardiff?

Visit site
My boat was based in East Lannion 5 years ago, so another thumbs up for it,

Vances favorite saying "Cash or no splash".

But he was very helpfull.

Matt341

Visit site
I agree with Captain Snoopy, we are also based in Neyland Marina and have always been lifted for the winter in East Llanions yard. However, when selling our previous boat we wanted her in the local brokerage yard so had to have her lifted out with dale sailing, due to work plans I had to change the dates with dale sailing at quite short notice and I had quite a bit of cheek with the secretary about it. It made me wonder who the customer actually was.

Also as I said previously they only lift on weekdays which would involve me taking a days holidays to get the boat out.

Good luck with the purchase and hope you find somewhere to winter her.

I dont know if it is of any help but we bought our boat from Swansea marina and had her lifted out there, the staff were really helpful and very professional, the yard facilities seem very good there. The only downside I can think of is that its quite close to town so traffic at rush hour is a nightmare, took us nearly an hour to get the boat and it was only an 8 mile journey.

Hope this helps
Ian.

wotayottie

Visit site
That's not a bad idea. Can you or anyone recommend a yard in Cardiff?

cardiff Marina 029 2034 3459 or alternatively the yard at Penarth marina 029 2070 9983 or 02920 705021. Or you could join one of the local clubs - Barry, Cardiff Yacht Club etc.

the road journey west to milford really is a PITA - miles in wales seem twice as long as miles elsewhere

Last edited:

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
the road journey west to milford really is a PITA - miles in wales seem twice as long as miles elsewhere
Not half as bad as the train journey, though. Luckily I got a lift from a friend when I went to look at her ... in his Porsche. Not sure that creates a useful impression on a broker ...

First choice is still going to be bringing her up to Scotland this autumn - even Cardiff would be an awful long way away to have the new toy!