Winter moorage in France

Goodroaming

Visit site
Valence has a good port/marina, an easy walk into town or to the nearest supermarket. Compared to others it is a bit pricey. A few liveaboards (not many) mainly French and Dutch (in our experience). On an open, wide stretch of the Rhone.
Thanks for the detail on Valence. Very helpful! With that exposure in the marina are you saying there would be more wind there? It seems protected from the river…You mentioned Stausborg which I would have never considered but it seems like just the kind of town we would love- even in tbe winter. Are there liveaboards? Is it a good place to outfit a boat? Thanks so much btw for your French Waterways site. It took me a bit to realize that was yours but its been a great resource for us and a great gift to the community.

Goodroaming

Visit site
If you find yourself on the Atlantic coast...Rochefort is a good wintering spot. Up river and in town, so walking to shops. Well protected and about half the price of La Rochelle. Bit of a community.
Dry storage also, but might be weight limited for you.
There is alot of love for the Atlantic side :) we will add it to our list as we want to explore everywhere we can- once we build up the experience ;)

Goodroaming

Visit site
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your sage advice! We added a few more ports to our list. I think Strasbourg is a bit of a front runner as it looks pleasant enough mooring in a really lovely city that will keep us distracted in the winter. While we are 100% commited , who knows how it will pan out exactly (thanks covid!) but it gives us something to aim for, distract from work, and properly plan and budget over the next 18 months. Thanks!

Dufton

Visit site
Valence has a good port/marina, an easy walk into town or to the nearest supermarket. Compared to others it is a bit pricey. A few liveaboards (not many) mainly French and Dutch (in our experience). On an open, wide stretch of the Rhone.
We are considering Valence or Macon as an over winter from September for our motorboat - what concerns us however is whether they are safe from flooding of The Rhone/Saone? What is member's experience of this please?

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
We are considering Valence or Macon as an over winter from September for our motorboat - what concerns us however is whether they are safe from flooding of The Rhone/Saone? What is member's experience of this please?
They're both as safe as a marina type river mooring can be expected to be. Of the two, Macon harbour (Saône) is more sheltered and I think, more secure.