winter cover

wombat88

Visit site
My 12' varnished clinker dinghy has been outside now for four years. Mast down. I cover it in layers. I have a long ridge pole, then an old canvas cover that is there to keep plastic from touching varnish, then a cheap tarpaulin from tarpaulinsdirect.co.uk

The outer layer lasts not much more than two years before it weathers. The canvas cover is ancient but breathable. I emphasise the need to keep condensation from dripping onto varnish and freezing etc etc. I have been known to put bubble wrap between one layer and another. Frost on damp varnish (or under damp varnish) or wet wood is a bad! A little ventilation at either end is good.

The ridge pole is constructed in such a way that water never sits in puddles on the boat.

So far so good.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Mast down. Turn her over and support the gunwales on tyres, etc. so that entire boat is at least six inches clear of the ground. Don’t support her at the stem - support her at the gunwales either side of the stem. But do support the transom!

I haven’t used a ridge pole, doing it this way, but clearly a ridge pole is best.

I use cotton canvas tarpaulins from Mudfords, whom I cannot recommend highly enough:

Canvas Tarpaulin - Blue

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
As wombat says, let air circulate . Guy down here put a tight fitting cover over the whole boat from the gunnel up and over one winter it promoted rot in all sorts of places. Ideal would be to have the cover free of the boat, but much more complicated to make.

wombat88

Visit site
Cor...cotton canvas doesn't come cheap!

It is worth giving thought to where to boat sits, obviously get rid of long grass. Ours is parked not far from the water, salt, in a reasonably breezy spot that gets sun when there is some. , I'm sure that helps. Keep away from frosty hollows.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Cor...cotton canvas doesn't come cheap!

It is worth giving thought to where to boat sits, obviously get rid of long grass. Ours is parked not far from the water, salt, in a reasonably breezy spot that gets sun when there is some. , I'm sure that helps. Keep away from frosty hollows.

I find those Mudfords cotton tarpaulins last three winters, so £40 a year, which saves itself on the maintenance that you don’t have to do.