Windlass woes. Wisdom wanted

Yngmar

Visit site
It's looks like an older model Lofrans (not Lewmar!) Cayman, much like this one from the interwebs: Lofrans Caymen 12V 1000W Anchor Windlass Rope & 5/16 Chain Lofrans Model Caymen 12V 1000W Anchor Windlass Rope & 5/16 Chain Gypsy [Lofrans Cayman 12V 1000W] - $750.00 : Used Boat Parts

7V at the motor would normally indicate high resistance somewhere in the cables to it, but given the photo of the motor I'd see if it turns at all!

If the rest is okay, spare motors may still be available (it doesn't look much different from our more recent Cayman), although possibly not economical.

jav301

Visit site
Thanks again folks. It does look like a Lofrans Caymen.

First steps. Tried 12 V on the motor leads- result- big spark and nowt else.

Took off gypsy, clutch etc and tried to drift shaft through. Met resistance but couldn't budge rope drum. After several different attempts it just came free in my hand so here is the works. Bonfiglioli VF49 gearbox. Feeling slightly more hopeful. I'll keep you posted (Boat launch on Wednesday)BONFIG2.jpegBONFIG2.jpeg

jav301

Visit site
Thanks again folks. It does look like Cayman.
First bit of wrangling eventually led to this naked mechanism. Only ID is the Bonfiglio VF49 gearbox.
12 volts on motor terminals resulted in big sparks but nowt else. BONFIG2.jpeg
Feeling more hopeful, will keep you posted.
Boat launch on Wednesday!

Yngmar

Visit site
Nice work - I'd unbolt the motor and see if the rotor turns at all. Might be rusted fast or just stuck on the brushes if they're worn down far enough to jam sideways. Should be able to turn the worm gear by hand or tool to see if the gearbox works, but I expect it will.

vas

Visit site
I really don't see why the motor is gone, unbolt the motor, see what's happening there and go ahead.
for inspiration, that's what I did to my Tigress almost 10yrs ago. Works fine (touch wood) for the last 5 yrs with 50-100 drops recoveries per season.

gipsy gone..

V.

Norman_E

Visit site
Take a motor that rusted in and I rather think they'll point to the bin in the corner.
Sure, the motor casing is rusty, but I bet there is still enough good metal to hold it together for a few more years provided loose rust is removed and the rest chemically treated. I would certainly have a go at saving that windlass.

jav301

Visit site
Yes, I think corrosion had stuck the rotor to the stator- see picture. The magnets are strong. Not too sure I'll be able to clean it up well enough. Any metallic crap sticks. I'll try but might also try to find a replacement motor (It's Bosch). Gearbox does seem ok, I'm pleased.ROTOR2.jpeg

jav301

Visit site
Now a confession. I think the corrosion may have been caused by water ingress due to me using the windlass as a strong point for a tow. Probably shifted it enough to let water get in which has been working away unseen since the summer before last. I went aground by straying outside a channel on Veerse Meer.Took a lot of pulling to get me off (sorry)

Yngmar

Visit site
Agree, that rotor looks serviceable with some minor cleanup. You can check the windings with a multimeter on the commutator while you have it out. Then have a look at bearings, brushes and the stator.

Ours had minor corrosion on the motor housing, which I cleaned up with a wire brush and painted with some rust converter paint.

Windlasses aren't really meant for towing or other such things, despite the tempting cleat on top (which was removed on later Cayman models).

jav301

Visit site
Windlass reassembled and working. Thanks to everyone for information, advice and encouragement. Saved me a lot of money and hopefully in time to launch with chain in locker and no holes in deck.

Slightly worried that I'm left with 2 circlips that I could'nt remember/find a place for.

I'm going to bed the windlass on a good layer of mastic this time and hope for a few more years of anchoring luxury- I've got remote controll like a millionaire.

Thanks again