Williams Minijet 280 in Targa 40 garage

danieleither

Visit site
Does anyone know if this combination will work?

The minijet is 2.79m length, and the Targa 40 garage is suitable for tenders up to 2.7m as standard.

Is there a way to modify the garage to take this tender? Or will it fit with deflated tubes?

danieleither

Visit site
After some research, I can see that the standard fitment tender (Valiant D-270) is 2.7m length and 1.4m beam. The MiniJet 280 beam is 1.55m, so beam and length are pretty close.

With regards height, is the issue purely the storage bin on aft cockpit seat? I imagine this could be modified quite easily by a decent fibreglass professional...

kashurst

Visit site
Rather than modify the boat or get a jet tender - have a look on here for views on jet drive tenders and the advantages and disadvantages.
An outboard based tender is often a lot easier to live with. From a safety perspective you can fit prop guards to standard outboards.

vas

Visit site
I used to have a valiant 270. It is an exceptionally low as in flat v rib. Overall height way too low compared to jetribs.
Not familiar with the T40 and it's garage, but weight would be another issue I guess.

danieleither

Visit site
Rather than modify the boat or get a jet tender - have a look on here for views on jet drive tenders and the advantages and disadvantages.
An outboard based tender is often a lot easier to live with. From a safety perspective you can fit prop guards to standard outboards.

It's about performance. I was hoping to get something fast enough to tow inflatables. A Minijet 280 will do this nicely. Most 'normal' ribs that small have a max outboard size of around 4-6hp. You won't be towing anything with that!

bluetooth

Visit site
It's about performance. I was hoping to get something fast enough to tow inflatables. A Minijet 280 will do this nicely. Most 'normal' ribs that small have a max outboard size of around 4-6hp. You won't be towing anything with that!

I tow the inflatables behind my T40!
As for 4-6hp I am aware that folks have used more powerful outboards on a vailant.
I'm also aware of a T40 owner having the garage door modified to get a jetrib when it was built. So you could easily get a customisation.
Keep us updated on what you do as I'd be very interested to know what u do.

danieleither

Visit site
Hmm, towing inflatables with a T40... I hadn't thought of that! It's certainly fast enough. Do you actually do this for real or were you jesting?

To be fair I originally wanted a T47 (which will fit a Williams 285) but was talked out of it (too big for a first boat).

If I can modify the garage to take a minijet 280 I will be very happy. Losing a storage bin will be a small price to pay!

bluetooth

Visit site
Hmm, towing inflatables with a T40... I hadn't thought of that! It's certainly fast enough. Do you actually do this for real or were you jesting?

To be fair I originally wanted a T47 (which will fit a Williams 285) but was talked out of it (too big for a first boat).

If I can modify the garage to take a minijet 280 I will be very happy. Losing a storage bin will be a small price to pay!

Yeh Serious comment. Got donut and biscuit to tow this year.