Will Costa Concordia slip into the deep?

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site

From the Torygraph article.

"Costa Cruises, the Italian company that owns the crippled liner, will invite 10 of the world's best known salvage firms to bid for the contract to recover the vessel.

Bids must be in by early March, with the contract to be awarded by the end of that month and work to start shortly afterwards.

By that time it is hoped that a Dutch company, Smit, will have been able to extract the 500,000 gallons of diesel and heavy oil in the liner's fuel tanks.
The salvage operation is expected to take up to 10 months, meaning that the ship will spend at least a year wedged on rocks in clear sight of Giglio's port and main settlement."

Not exactly rushing the job, are they?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Examples of the righting of a capsized passenger ship in order that she be towed away for scrap would include the French Line "Normandie" in New York - Feb 1942- late 43 and the Italian Line "Leonardo Da Vinci" in Genoa in 1980-82 in La Spezia (by Smit). The likely time scale is indicated by those dates. In both cases the upper works were cut down first.

Ten months is very fast for a job of this size and complexity.

Personal experience causes my hackles to rise when a salvage company is accused of "not getting on with it!"

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Ken, it is a bit more complex - the invitation is in the name of Costa Cruises but in reality the people who are issuing the tender and who will commit to the contract are in the City of London and are the Standard and Steamship Mutual P+I Clubs.

Time is needed to clarify the legal obligations on Costa in relation to the wreck, which is in a national park, etc.

Time is needed for the salvage companies to survey the wreck and cost out the operation - this will be the biggest, most complex, ship ever treated in this way.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
From the Torygraph article.

"Costa Cruises, the Italian company that owns the crippled liner, will invite 10 of the world's best known salvage firms to bid for the contract to recover the vessel.

Bids must be in by early March, with the contract to be awarded by the end of that month and work to start shortly afterwards.

By that time it is hoped that a Dutch company, Smit, will have been able to extract the 500,000 gallons of diesel and heavy oil in the liner's fuel tanks.
The salvage operation is expected to take up to 10 months, meaning that the ship will spend at least a year wedged on rocks in clear sight of Giglio's port and main settlement."

Not exactly rushing the job, are they?

Italians + Americans= one lot shrugging and going for a coffee, the other lot checking with their lawyers before going to the loo.

I exculde all their CG & Carabinari crews and divers from that mind! Total Respect due there.

SHUG

Visit site
Italians + Americans= one lot shrugging and going for a coffee, the other lot checking with their lawyers before going to the loo.

I exculde all their CG & Carabinari crews and divers from that mind! Total Respect due there.
Clearly they should put Minn in charge!!

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Given that she is listing to starboard while the visible hole is on the port side, I wander whether there is another hole that they have not found yet. This thought was strengthened when I heard on the programme this week about the sinking that she was listing to port until she grounded the second time, then quite rapidly started listing to starboard. Patching the port side looks possible, but an underwater patch on the other side is a different problem.

Other threads that may be of interest