Wifi boost

www.bavariayacht.info
See the rest of this post (click the >> after my name)

Here is how to share your Wi-Fi signal using a single card, under Windows 7 or 8

If you don't have a Windows PC connected, you can get an Alfa R36, see the rest of this post:

The R36 is also quite expensive (see link below) so if there is a Windows 7 computer available to host the Wi-Fi as in my post #3, it would be easier and cheaper...

trooper

Visit site
Thanks for that Nigel - not sure i understand though. My problem is I can't get a WiFi signal from the mooring, what I am trying to do is raise the reception capability. Apparently with this kit i will then be able to use as many devices as I want at the same time.

Should also say 3g is very patchy in the area and not a possibility.

MikeA

Visit site
Trooper, I have the iBoost but with the directional aerial, originally purchased for a motorhome but now on my boat. It's got an easy to use interface and works really well. Last week whilst anchored in Palma Nova Mallorca, it was picking up so many access points that it was difficult to find one that I know the password to (there's only so many beers you can purchase in exchange for wifi passwords!), which wasn't on the same channel as a closer access point, which does seem to cause problems. I could see access points at Palma airport which is 10 miles away but was in line of sight. The big disadvantage of the directional aerial of course, is loss of connection as the boat swings at anchor, I'm going to purchase an omnidirectional aerial before our next trip.

We rely on a Huawei mifi most of the time, which costs a couple of quid a day but does give more bandwidth than the average public access point, however with the family on board with iphones/tablets/laptops/kindles all connecting automatically and a maximum of only 5 connections permitted on my particular mifi, I have to constantly keep turning off wifi on unused gadgets to get a connection. Connecting the iBoost to the mifi solves that problem and gives a much stronger signal when up on deck with the mifi on charge below.

The support I received via email when I managed to screw up the settings was excellent.

trooper

Visit site
Trooper, I have the iBoost but with the directional aerial, originally purchased for a motorhome but now on my boat. It's got an easy to use interface and works really well. Last week whilst anchored in Palma Nova Mallorca, it was picking up so many access points that it was difficult to find one that I know the password to (there's only so many beers you can purchase in exchange for wifi passwords!), which wasn't on the same channel as a closer access point, which does seem to cause problems. I could see access points at Palma airport which is 10 miles away but was in line of sight. The big disadvantage of the directional aerial of course, is loss of connection as the boat swings at anchor, I'm going to purchase an omnidirectional aerial before our next trip.

We rely on a Huawei mifi most of the time, which costs a couple of quid a day but does give more bandwidth than the average public access point, however with the family on board with iphones/tablets/laptops/kindles all connecting automatically and a maximum of only 5 connections permitted on my particular mifi, I have to constantly keep turning off wifi on unused gadgets to get a connection. Connecting the iBoost to the mifi solves that problem and gives a much stronger signal when up on deck with the mifi on charge below.

The support I received via email when I managed to screw up the settings was excellent.

Sounds like it does the job for you too - have to agree though, I've not even bought the system and the staff at iboost have been very helpful. Think on the back of this I'll give it a try.

Many thanks for input