Wi-Fi data to a chart plotter

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I need some more help with this. I've been offered a Raymarine e7D and I want your thoughts.
From what I can tell it will run Navionics and has Wi-Fi so I can use my ipad to mirror the display, iPad below and e7D on deck, one problem solved. It will also accept NMEA 0183 so I don't need a converter, second problem solved. I'm trying to see if it will accept my instrument data and send though Wi-Fi. If it does I think I can do away with my Quark Wi-Fi transmitter. Have I missed anything?

Any input would be gratefully received.

If you are going to mirror the MFD you will get exactly that, a mirror copy of the MFD. So, you just have to consider what you can get on the MFD. What exactly are your other instruments ?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I need some more help with this. I've been offered a Raymarine e7D and I want your thoughts.
From what I can tell it will run Navionics and has Wi-Fi so I can use my ipad to mirror the display, iPad below and e7D on deck, one problem solved. It will also accept NMEA 0183 so I don't need a converter, second problem solved. I'm trying to see if it will accept my instrument data and send though Wi-Fi. If it does I think I can do away with my Quark Wi-Fi transmitter. Have I missed anything?
I'm not sure where the e-series stands when compared to the a-series and c-series, as they share the same design language (or at least very similar), but these are legacy products - it looks like the e-series debuted in 2011/12.

It runs the Lighthouse 2 o/s (current version is 3) and you're right that it does seem to support RayControl - this is mentioned in the release notes for v3.15 of the software, and current RayControl says it needs v4.27 which was released in Aug 2012.

It won't "run" Navionics, but will accept Navionics cartography (on an SDcard?). Navionics make charts, and they also have an app for phones and tablets - you would have to buy charts suitable for this plotter for about £200 or £250 (I slightly prefer C-Map's charts though) and then that would be separate from the Navionics app on your phone.

I doubt any MFD will gateway 0183 onwards, as the MFD is generally the final destination for all sensor data. NMEA data over wifi is not such a mainstream thing.

However you will be able to view wind-speed and speed-through the water on the MFD's display, assuming it can see the data from your 183 instruments, so you can view them on the iPad from down below using the RayControl app.

I believe I've used this generation of Raymarine plotter - maybe even this exact model - and they're as good as any, considering their era. They're intuitive to navigate the menus and find information - you can highlight a ship on AIS, for example, and get more information about it, showing speed, CPA time and distance etc. I think these models lack some features and customisability of my current-model B&G, but you'd expect that.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It won't "run" Navionics, but will accept Navionics cartography (on an SDcard?). Navionics make charts, and they also have an app for phones and tablets - you would have to buy charts suitable for this plotter for about £200 or £250 (I slightly prefer C-Map's charts though) and then that would be separate from the Navionics app on your phone.

If he buys charts for the plotter from Navionics, he can use those charts with the Navionics app' on his phine or tablet, stand alone.

I doubt any MFD will gateway 0183 onwards, as the MFD is generally the final destination for all sensor data. NMEA data over wifi is not such a mainstream thing.

The MFD will only send data over wifi to one of the Raymarine app's. I cannot think of any MFD that differs in that respect, as you suspected.

Gixer

Visit site
What exactly are your other instruments ?
Thanks Paul, I have a Tacktick set up of depth/speed/wind and a micronet receiver that outputs 0183, this is wired to a Quark that adds GPS/AIS and sends to my ipad where I use Navionics and a NMEAremote App to view everything. This works really well for me.

Thanks Kompetent Krew, I have a subscription to Navionics already but if I have to spend £££ on extra charts that could be a deal breaker.

Gixer

Visit site
I use another app for viewing the data anyway so having to use the Raymarine app is ok.

Just realized if I bypass the Quark (and sell it) by taking the NMEA feed directly to the Chartplotter I'm going to loose AIS.

All I want is another display on deck without the fragility of an Ipad. This is so complicated and expensive..... :)

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks Paul, I have a Tacktick set up of depth/speed/wind and a micronet receiver that outputs 0183, this is wired to a Quark that adds GPS/AIS and sends to my ipad where I use Navionics and a NMEAremote App to view everything. This works really well for me.

The E7D has two NMEA in ports, so you can use one for the Micronet and the other for AIS.

Thanks Kompetent Krew, I have a subscription to Navionics already but if I have to spend £££ on extra charts that could be a deal breaker.

The Navionics subscription will not work for the plotter, you need the full Navionics cartography on an SD card (as KK mentioned). You can then use the SD card subscription for the Navionics app'.

Gixer

Visit site
The E7D has two NMEA in ports, so you can use one for the Micronet and the other for AIS.

The Navionics subscription will not work for the plotter, you need the full Navionics cartography on an SD card (as KK mentioned). You can then use the SD card subscription for the Navionics app'.

I was hoping to take the Quark out of the mix to simplify things but may as well hang on to it for the AIS.

So if I buy the subscription for the plotter I can use same maps though the app, I think I pay £30 odd now so that can be taken off the £200 for the maps on the card. Makes sense.

Thanks Paul

KompetentKrew

Visit site
The full Navonics chart of the UK, Ireland and Channel is about £200. C-Map do a chart with the same (or very similar) coverage, as part of their "wide" series .

There are cheaper options, but I never thought the "small" charts worth the saving, as you only save 35% of the cost and you would need several of them to match the coverage of a single "wide" chart.

I'm actually surprised to see the saving is so little - when I started writing this comment I thought that a small chart might be worth you considering but, after looking up the prices, I don't see why anyone would buy a "small" one.

jaminb

Visit site
Could anyone tell me how I use the navionics card I have paid for to get the navionics app to work without paying an additional £40? Thanks