Why we don't chill out in Greece any more

Stemar

Visit site
Time for a proper boat driving test and licence?
Although if there were boat licences one would hope that skipper's would be cancelled for life!

Compulsory euthanasia would be another option :rolleyes:

Does it help in a crowded car park? Euthanasia might - it would certainly help with the overcrowding in the Solent, but in my experience, the only folk who've never had a whoops moment on a boat are non-sailors.

James_Calvert

Visit site
I think it was his driving licence that was the problem.

He was driving it like it had wheels. If he'd never had a car he might have given his brain a chance to work out what was going on.

laika

Visit site
Time for a proper boat driving test and licence?

It's already the case that you need a certificate of competence for Greece. My (possibly incorrect? For discussion....) guess would be that people making these epic fails will tend to be folks who don't sail much except for a biennial charter holiday. Doing a week's course with a test at the end then not using it for a year or two isn't going to help much.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Now for them who think this is a one off , far from it ,
It's nothing to see people dragging not only them but taken others with them,
Or seeing what we seen here .
The problem is two fold
A charter company who don't give a dam and will let anyone charter , as long as they got a nice lump of the charter money at hand to cover bangs and dent anything bigger the insurance covers it .

B people who may be use to small sailing boat , let loose on 38 /45 foot plus and think they can handy them ,
All well and good with little wind , extra bit more and their are Fu@@.
The other skipper on the other boats didn't help probably because there no more experience,
All they had to do was moor him along side they boat then if need be row out an anchor ,
but no too busy shouting and pushing him away .

In all the years we sailed Greece , this is a regular problem ,

The funny thing is you mostly see it happening in the Ionian then any where else in Greece .

johnalison

Visit site
I think it was his driving licence that was the problem.

He was driving it like it had wheels. If he'd never had a car he might have given his brain a chance to work out what was going on.
Quite. At one or more points he thought that he could turn into the wind without his stern moving downwind.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...The other skipper on the other boats didn't help...too busy shouting and pushing him away .

In all the years we sailed Greece , this is a regular problem ,

That was one of my biggest bugbears when sailing in that area:
If as a cruising/livaboard yacht you went onto a quay, you could pretty much guarantee that as you made your approach there would be at least two or three other livaboards waiting there to take your lines and help you tie-up, but if a charter boat approached, he was ignored until it went to rat-shit when everyone appeared to berate the poor bugger; they're usually the ones most in need of your help.