Why arm power and no pedals this time?

ltcom

Visit site
Has this been asked? Sorry if so. The catamarans used pedal power...... strong legs, low centre of gravity, these boats are back to arm grinders. Is there a design reason?

dunedin

Visit site
Also they are not catamarans, they are an aircraft that drag a foil or two through the water.?

Yes but the the OP was referring to the previous generation AC boats, which were foiling catamaran style, and one boat (the winners?) used leg/pedal power rather than arm/winch power.

Why more efficient pedal power was banned by the new rules is odd, but just like moving from light catamarans to lead balanced monohulls, the new rules seemed less about speed / efficiency and more about being different from the previous ones.

NormanB

Visit site
Yes but the the OP was referring to the previous generation AC boats, which were foiling catamaran style, and one boat (the winners?) used leg/pedal power rather than arm/winch power.

Why more efficient pedal power was banned by the new rules is odd, but just like moving from light catamarans to lead balanced monohulls, the new rules seemed less about speed / efficiency and more about being different from the previous ones.
Are you here for a 5 minute argument or the full half hour?
I was being light hearted hence the emoticon.?

ltcom

Visit site
Right. Thank you. Quite enjoying parts of the series now. A bit like Day of the Triffids machines on water. Wish I was there. Sailing a bit boring, but interesting to see how the tech works out ...... or not.

dunedin

Visit site
I thought hydraulics did all the moving and the batteries were needed for the computers controlling everything?

Really good video explanation of the crewing roles and how each team operates the roles slightly differently PlanetSail: AC75 Crew Work Explained Part 1

And apparently “everything below the water is operated by battery, everything above the deck by hydraulics (or winch)”

Tomahawk

Visit site
but going back to the OP... I am wondering why no cycling grinders?
Legs are far more powerful. OK, it would mean possibly loosing one/two crew members to compensate for the extra power?

I always wonder why none of the IMOCA designers use pedal power for grinding up things like the main? I am sur a bit of imagination would put together a position where you can cycle from one side or stand up and grind fron the other. .

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
And apparently “everything below the water is operated by battery, everything above the deck by hydraulics (or winch)”

But that doesn't explain how the hydraulics are powered.

but going back to the OP... I am wondering why no cycling grinders?
Legs are far more powerful.

If you want to make it easy, why not just install engines instead of faffing about with flappy things?

Tomahawk

Visit site
Sailing boats have traditionally been made of wood with he,p ropes and cotton canvas.

Given the costs of these hugh tech marvels, it would probably be cheaper to go back to J Class?

flaming

Visit site
I always wonder why none of the IMOCA designers use pedal power for grinding up things like the main? I am sur a bit of imagination would put together a position where you can cycle from one side or stand up and grind fron the other. .
One did this time round.
EdAWqLNLAWFl4biXM0anUgYBYphGMUfXJWfEVL6aG70.jpg

flaming

Visit site
The simple reason why no cyclors in this cup cycle is that even TNZ agreed that it looked really stupid last time. And they wanted to go back to having sailors on the boats, rather than bringing in TDF cyclists just for the power.