• Forum Contest

Enter here, for a chance to win an Ultimate Boat Bar from Carabarlife!

• UPDATED INFORMATION & ADVICE - PLEASE READ NOW

'I didn't know/I wasn't told' will not be a valid defence if you fail to comply and lose your access to the off-topic area, core topic areas, or the entire YBW forum as a result. Full details can be found here, please read before you proceed.

Why are survival suits provided for crew?

GabrielTurner

I've been on a few passenger ships, and I've noticed that survival suits are provided for the crew in the event of an emergency. However passengers are not provided with them. If it's considered safe not to provide them to passenger, then why is it that crew need to be provided with them?

Rappey

Taking a guess, crew can easily be identified by passengers and gives crew a longer survival time whilst trying to help passengers?

scottie

Has this not been raised recently and determined that as survival suits need to be fitted that it is not practical to sort out for passengers on a time basis alone if for no other reason

GabrielTurner

Has this not been raised recently and determined that as survival suits need to be fitted that it is not practical to sort out for passengers on a time basis alone if for no other reason
Fair point, but I didn't mean crew survival suits. I meant passenger suits.

Take your own.
Same thing with LSJs on civil aircraft....
Define civil aircraft?

zoidberg

Passenger survival suits....

If this is a 'thing' for you, take your own. Seriously....

Thermal Protective Aids ( TPAs ) are recommended kit for yottie survival grab bags. Last I looked, they retailed at under £10 and packed to the size of a plastic raincoat.

GabrielTurner

Passenger survival suits....

If this is a 'thing' for you, take your own. Seriously....

Thermal Protective Aids ( TPAs ) are recommended kit for yottie survival grab bags. Last I looked, they retailed at under £10 and packed to the size of a plastic raincoat.
Yes, but why is there such a thing then?

No I didn't mean those, they are of zero value if you end up in the water!