Why are anchors on badges always shown fouled?

shmoo

Visit site
Anchors shown in heraldic context such as on badges, arms, headstones and so on are always shown fouled, with the cable around the stock. Anyone know why this is?

Last edited:

Lizzie_B

Bermuda since 2017. Formerly Emsworth and Bedford.
Visit site
Anchors shown in heraldic context such as on badges, arms, headstones and so on are always shown fouled, with the cable around the stock. Anyone know why this is?

As you can see, anchors in heraldry are shown clear more often than fouled. Fouled examples are often in insignia of organizations with some sort of historical link to the UK.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...l=File:Snezhnogorsk+(Murmansk+Oblast)+coa.png

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...m=File:Snezhnogorsk+(Murmansk+Oblast)+coa.png

In the UK, we are used to seeing mostly fouled anchors because the fouled anchor is the official insignia of the Lord High Admiral of the Admiralty, so when british maritime organizations have wanted to use an anchor they have tended to use the fouled type.

It was probably adopted because the fouled anchor was the personal seal of Lord Howard of Effingham, who was Lord High Admiral at the time of the Armada, and was transferred to the office of state instead of the person at that time.
The fouled anchor is thought to symbolise steadfastness and hope in tribulation, and has long been used as a christian symbol.

The US Navy and coast guard use plain anchors in their official seals, but do use fouled in some, but not all of their rank badges...mixed heritage I guess. Alledgedly, the U.S.N. on a US navy petty officer's fouled anchor badge does not stand for US Navy but for for Unity Service Navigation. I have this from several retired US Navy chiefs.
Maybe they chose to give the fouled anchors to the petty officers because of all the trials and tribulations ahead on the climb to the cleared anchors of a US Navy warrant officer

Last edited:

craigsmith

www.petersmith.net.nz
There is some history here:
http://flagspot.net/flags/gb-lha.html

No real explanations as to why fouled in the first place, other than the idea that it is simply artistic / ornamental (what else to do with a length of line, than drape it on the anchor). Some citations here:
www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/xf-anch.html

The USN matters are a red herring unless you're specifically interested in American traditions; as with anything to do with history, things often take on an importance or are assigned a symbolism at a later stage which was completely absent to begin with. A more recent example is the CQR, and the various phrases its name is incorrectly stated to stand for along with various mythical reasons for its shank articulation - great fun.

Last edited:
D

DogWatch

I have been a searching and admit that I have never noticed this before, quite an interesting observation.

I found one site that got my grumpy YBW heckles up, a little OT but I thought it only right I should share.

pants

There are 2 things to get the grumps going on the page, you always get value for money from me!

shmoo

Visit site
I rather hope the story involves the Garter King of Arms having his garter pinged by drunken matelows and the subsequent grudge lasting hundreds of years...

Wunja

Visit site

Not always...
sc-as-nask-ba.gif

Scout's Basic Nautical Skills activity badge