Why a westerly?

shaunksb

Visit site
Okay, let me ask another novice question because some of this I had fathomed, and some I have not, this is also why I'm not going anywhere fast or until I'm ready and had some more tutorage! ;)

So the safe haven being Grimsby we had discussed so I was aware of that fact. But as someone new to sailing, I go up and down the Orwell and offshore around Harwich then duck back into the safety of the (wide) river.

So, from a boat handling perspective, if I'm arriving at Whitby(or literally any other port on the east coast) with an easterly, or north easterly, what negative effect does that have on the yacht? The council page about entry to Whitby harbour says "Dangerous sea conditions can occur at the harbour entrance during strong northwest to east onshore winds. Entry to Whitby Harbour for small craft is not recommended during this time." so I won't be trying to, but what would the sea state end up being?

Also if the weather was turning, there is potentially Scarborough a little short of the destination. Equally we're talking a 24-30hour ish run from Lowestoft, so I'd hope that the forecast doesn't change that much in that period (I appreciate its a forecast and the crew should prepare for it not being accurate and all eventualities etc.

I apologise for the novice questions, like I said, I'm here to learn!

Youtube is your friend.

You can see on the video it’s relatively benign once inside the harbour and not too much rough water further out but at the entrance where the depth shallows it’s cutting up rough. Rough enough to overwhelm a small yacht, spin her round send her into those remarkably unforgiving breakwaters and really spoil your day.

However this type of doomsday scenario only really happens in an area that does cut up. So a harbour entrance with limitations, a headland , race or an area where the seabed and tide conspire to make the seastate particulary nasty when the wind is against the tide.

Luckily all these areas have been encountered before and are well marked on charts and pilots.

So this shouldn’t trouble you as long as you avoid any such “hotspots”.

As your experience grows you will learn how your boat reacts as the wind increases. Wind is nothing and will not endanger your boat by its self, its the seastate that makes things difficult and that takes half a day to build at least.

So if the forecast 5 turns into a 7 don’t panic, just reevaluate the situation and above all don’t put yourself at risk by trying to run into danger just to get back to terra firma ASAP.

Don’t ask me how I learnt this...

seivadnehpets

www.schnark.home.blog
Magic Trout,
I am another newbie. In theory I am a master but my experience is only of Dinghy sailing on the Medway and countless circumnavigations of Sheppey, and a little crewing on a traditional yacht on the West Coast of Scotland and the Irish Sea.
My reason, so far, for not buying a yacht, is that I am drawn to a line from Lowestoft to Peterhead. Deep water all the way, no skill required until you get there, but I'd need crew and I'd probably need to drug them and hope they don't jump overboard.
But it is winter, and dreaming is allowed. ⛵ ;)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Okay, let me ask another novice question because some of this I had fathomed, and some I have not, this is also why I'm not going anywhere fast or until I'm ready and had some more tutorage! ;)

So the safe haven being Grimsby we had discussed so I was aware of that fact. But as someone new to sailing, I go up and down the Orwell and offshore around Harwich then duck back into the safety of the (wide) river.

So, from a boat handling perspective, if I'm arriving at Whitby(or literally any other port on the east coast) with an easterly, or north easterly, what negative effect does that have on the yacht? The council page about entry to Whitby harbour says "Dangerous sea conditions can occur at the harbour entrance during strong northwest to east onshore winds. Entry to Whitby Harbour for small craft is not recommended during this time." so I won't be trying to, but what would the sea state end up being?

Also if the weather was turning, there is potentially Scarborough a little short of the destination. Equally we're talking a 24-30hour ish run from Lowestoft, so I'd hope that the forecast doesn't change that much in that period (I appreciate its a forecast and the crew should prepare for it not being accurate and all eventualities etc.

I apologise for the novice questions, like I said, I'm here to learn!
Worth remembering that there's a strong current running across the entrance to Whitby. If you're not prepared for it, it can sweep you past the entrance.

I encountered another issue at Whitby - the harbour is the mouth of the river Esk, and can carry debris. I had the misfortune to hit a substantial lump of tree which jammed the propeller, and we had to get hold of a mooring buoy and get a tow to the marina. Fortunately it came clear without causing any damage!

Personally, I'm much happier at sea than in the confined water of the Orwell - it's much safer at sea!