Who nicked the lightship?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Returning the empty bottles will do.

I seem to have a lot of them. It is about twenty years since a Belgian friend introduced me to the wonderland that is Belgian beer. Beers made by monks, beers once made by monks, beers flavoured with fruits, beers of different colours.. I still don’t begin to understand it... but I certainly like it. Besides, it was always a good excuse for visiting Belgium by boat.

And all you fine people get over here are inferior fish and chips and Adnams, or Shepherd Neame, or Adnams...

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Hang on! If we’re the only country that HAS fish and chips then they can’t ALL be inferior!
Only 50% can be inferior, the other 50% are superior.

If we were the only country that had fish and chips, that statement would be correct. But I have found Belgian fish and chips to be - on average - superior, although there are some British chippies that are excellent.

PeterWright

Visit site
Hang on! If we’re the only country that HAS fish and chips then they can’t ALL be inferior!
Only 50% can be inferior, the other 50% are superior.
I'm not so sure we're the only country to have fish and chips, I seem to remember that the Belgians claim to be the inventors of chips and have been known to combine them with fish, albeit ones that live in shells, in the form of moules frites.

johnalison

Visit site
I'm not so sure we're the only country to have fish and chips, I seem to remember that the Belgians claim to be the inventors of chips and have been known to combine them with fish, albeit ones that live in shells, in the form of moules frites.
I think that fish and chips as a dish is a genuine British invention, even if we didn't invent batter or chips. BTW, did you know that the Japs didn't invent tempura but were taught it by the Portuguese? It is clear the Germans are great admirers of our F&C but have adapted it somewhat. I was pleased to see their parody of the newspaper. It was sold as 'Fish & chips, English style'
'08b (121) copy.jpg

westhinder

Visit site
I seem to have a lot of them. It is about twenty years since a Belgian friend introduced me to the wonderland that is Belgian beer. Beers made by monks, beers once made by monks, beers flavoured with fruits, beers of different colours.. I still don’t begin to understand it... but I certainly like it. Besides, it was always a good excuse for visiting Belgium by boat.

And all you fine people get over here are inferior fish and chips and Adnams, or Shepherd Neame, or Adnams...

Wherever I go in the U.K., I try to taste the local brew, but I have to admit it is a bit hit and miss. I’m still struggling to find a reliably good make of bitter. There seems to be a lot of difference in the way pubs serve their beers.
There is hope, in that you now have Tynt Meadow, the first U.K. Trappist beer. It tastes as a mix of dark Belgian Trappist and Guinness, so there a worse connotations.
As for fish and chips, in most cases it is a waste of both fish and potatoes, I’m afraid. (ducks for cover)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Wherever I go in the U.K., I try to taste the local brew, but I have to admit it is a bit hit and miss. I’m still struggling to find a reliably good make of bitter. There seems to be a lot of difference in the way pubs serve their beers.
There is hope, in that you now have Tynt Meadow, the first U.K. Trappist beer. It tastes as a mix of dark Belgian Trappist and Guinness, so there a worse connotations.
As for fish and chips, in most cases it is a waste of both fish and potatoes, I’m afraid. (ducks for cover)
On my very first "official" visit to a pub with my father and my uncle, I realized that beer depends vastly on the cellarer. I had a half of the same brew in two different pubs, and it was quite different in taste. You really have to try proper beer in several places before forming an opinion; it's flavour is so dependent on the condition of the beer.

PS. Tolly Cobbold Christmas Ale took some beating. Not safe to drink more than a pint. Sadly RIP Tolly Cobbold!