Who is to blame for World poverty.... yachties according to the Guardian!

jordanbasset

Visit site

Seven Spades

Visit site
Firstly where in the report does it say yachties are to blame for world poverty, I can't see it
Secondly the Guardian are not saying it, they are reporting on a report
Lastly this would be better in the lounge as it has little or nothing to do with yachts

Lost your sense of humour this morning, did you see the stock photo they used to illustrate the problem of tax evasion?

jordanbasset

Visit site
Lost your sense of humour this morning, did you see the stock photo they used to illustrate the problem of tax evasion?
Yes, it was meant to show a tax haven I assume, There looks to be an Island, some houses and boats, no where does it say yachties are to blame for world poverty
As for humour didn't see much of it in your post

dom

Visit site

Indeed, Shutterstock in this case. It's a fair point, your average lazy hack reaches for a yacht/marina stereotypical image to illustrate anything to do with wealth, tax, inequality, poverty, global warming, the list goes on.

Stereotype a group of people this way using other metrics and law suits would be a flyin!

It's also misleading, as wealth is overwhelmingly stored in mines, businesses, property, financial securities, fine art, gold, diamonds, etc.

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
Indeed, Shutterstock in this case. It's a fair point, your average lazy hack reaches for a yacht/marina stereotypical image to illustrate anything to do with wealth, tax, inequality, poverty, global warming, the list goes on.

Stereotype a group of people this way using other metrics and law suits would be a flyin!

It's also misleading, as wealth is overwhelmingly stored in mines, businesses, property, financial securities, fine art, gold, diamonds, etc.

It's not lazy stereotyping, it's a photo of the BVI; perfectly reasonable in the context of the article.

These offshore tax havens, and the shady individuals and companies who park their money in them to avoid contributing their fair share to society, not only exacerbate poverty, but also mean that the likes of most members of this forum have to pay more tax than they would otherwise be required to.

There is an issue with many of the mega yachts and tax dodging. One of the first thing that crosses my mind when I see some monster yacht registered in a tax haven is "There's someone who isn't paying their tax".

I agree with Jordanbasset. The link to yachting is extremely tenuous, this thread would be better in the lounge.

Easticks28

Visit site
Yes, it was meant to show a tax haven I assume, There looks to be an Island, some houses and boats, no where does it say yachties are to blame for world poverty
As for humour didn't see much of it in your post
The caption on the 'stock photo' clearly states 'Several UK overseas territories and crown dependencies, including the British Virgin Islands (pictured), Guernsey and Jersey, have a zero corporation tax rate. '

Possibly that's what Seven Spades finds objectionable?

dom

Visit site
It's not lazy stereotyping, it's a photo of the BVI; perfectly reasonable in the context of the article.

These offshore tax havens, and the shady individuals and companies who park their money in them to avoid contributing their fair share to society, not only exacerbate poverty, but also mean that the likes of most members of this forum have to pay more tax than they would otherwise be required to.

There is an issue with many of the mega yachts and tax dodging. One of the first thing that crosses my mind when I see some monster yacht registered in a tax haven is "There's someone who isn't paying their tax".

From the UK Revenue and Customs to the long reach of the IRS, and many more; yachts and planes will make your presence known to the tax authorities and law enforcement agencies better than any known radar transponder!

They are also fairly easy to arrest unless they stay well off the beaten path.
:)

Daydream believer

Visit site
When I read posts like that I think to myself ,that there are those out there that are somewhat envious of the successful.
I further suggest that there is nothing wrong with tax avoidance. Many - even some on this forum --would use the rules to their advantage, if they could.
So where does the principle end. At claiming for one's car against traveling expenses. Or for one's super yacht chartering expenses , perhaps in a tax haven?
Of course tax evasion is different"

Easticks28

Visit site
When I read posts like that I think to myself ,that there are those out there that are somewhat envious of the successful.
I further suggest that there is nothing wrong with tax avoidance. Many - even some on this forum --would use the rules to their advantage, if they could.
So where does the principle end. At claiming for one's car against traveling expenses. Or for one's super yacht chartering expenses , perhaps in a tax haven?
Of course tax evasion is different"
:rolleyes:
Either you are a taxation accountant - or you are joyfully employing one.
There is no end of difference between that which is permitted and intended by the regulations and the deliberate seeking out of at best 'just legal ' but morally indefensible loopholes .